Event Calendar

03 October 2006

We Are Scientists, Art Brut & The Spinto Band (The Fillmore, 2 October 2006)

I just came back from one of the best all-around shows I've seen this year. The sheer energy from beginning to end just drove me (and my ear drums) crazy

Let's start off with the Spinto Band. I know nothing about these guys, but I was impressed from what little I saw. I caught them playing 3 songs and they were all really good. Good energy on stage and even the banter was somewhat amusing. They're a large band, and they made their numbers work with providing a rich sound to their songs. I will definitely give their album a spin.

I'm going to save Art Brut for last, but We Are Scientists were the final band in this show. They were so much better tonight compared to when I saw them at the Independent back in March. They opened up with a new song which transitioned to "Nobody Move, Nobody Gets Hurt" from their debut With Love and Squalor. They were not nearly as entertaining as Art Brut, but they were good nonetheless. They also did a cover of Art Brut's "Bang Bang Rock N Roll" which sucked compared to the original. But, they convinced me to buy the split EP they were selling. While I was there, I missed "Inaction" which was the song I wanted to hear the most. Nonetheless, they ended with "Great Escape" which is a great track.

Ready Art Brut? Top of the fucking pops indeed! These guys never cease to amaze me. I've seen them at Bottom of the Hill in March, Coachella and then Great American Music Hall the following day. Yes, they put on a very similar show this time around as well, but what was different was the sheer energy. It was just different. Maybe it's Art Brut withdrawal, but they were just spot on tonight. Eddie was amusing as ever. Jasper Future and his crazy faces were just hilarious to look at. But the music was just great! Granted, I was near the speakers, so it seemed muffled, but it was just great to listen to. Her's the YouTube of Art Brut's "Bad Weekend":



Similar to other shows, Eddie went down to the crowd during "Modern Art" and, of course, I was there to greet him amongst others. Eddie and his big belly, pockets out and his signature rainbow socks was just strutting around the Fillmore.

Now, back to We Are Scientists. During their set, Spinto Band came along to dance. They had a little dance routine, that doesn't come nearly as close as OK Go's but it was entertaining. Here's the YouTube video:



W.A.S. bit off of Art Brut when Chris went down the stage, wireless bass at hand. Biter. Then, Art Brut members came on for the last song and sang with W.A.S.

Truly, Art Brut stole the show from W.A.S.

Beer Rating:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i loooooved art brut! they were so manic and fun and they made me laugh and dance at the same time, an excellent show in l.a., they just ooze charisma. i have a crush on eddie argos now. we left soon after w.a.s. came on, art brut blew them off the stage.

-robin in los angeles