Event Calendar

14 October 2006

Sufjan Stevens (Zellerbach Hall, 11 October 2006)

Like last night, I was faced with the dilemma of whether I should go see Sufjan or stay at work. This was a lot harder to decide because I already saw him last night and I was afraid that last night's show will tarnish the majesty of tonight's show. Because, let's face it, Sufjan will do the same thing, for the most part, and the novelty of the whole thing will just wear off. Again, my friends called, giving me updates on when My Brightest Diamond's set ended and the ETA for Sufjan. Well, I decided to go see him again. Just because, well, why the hell shouldn't I?

This time, I was determined to get a Superman or a Santa Claus, at the least. I also brought a camera to take pics and video.

I missed two songs but I at least arrived without shortness of breath or sweat. He played a lot of the same songs from last night, albeit in different order. This is how it chronologically went:

The Transfiguration
The Tallest Man, the Broadest Shoulders...


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

He Woke Me Up Again

I don't think he played this the night before and I was glad he played it tonight. I love songs from Seven Swans. It seems like a treat when he plays it.

Detroit...

Again, the A's lost to the Tigers that night and Sufjan made sure everyone in the crowd knew about it. But Sufjan does have a point: it's been nearly 20 years since Detroit won a World Series.

The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades is Out to Get us

Sufjan told this story about his friend Franco during this set. His childhood friend looked like Frank Sinatra, hence Sufjan was wearing a Sinatra-style hat. The story got a bit weird with the wasps, the bats, making a house using straw and leaves, etc. Entertaining though.

Abraham
Casmir Pulaski Day
Seven Swans


The ending to this song was just amazing! My goodness, just that dissonance at the end makes me shiver.

That Was the Worst Christmas Ever

So this was my first chance to get an inflatable Santa. Unfortunately, damn bastard in front of me got a hold of one. Why am I so obsessed with getting one? Here's the video:



Jacksonville
Majesty Snowbird
The Man of Metropolis Steals our Hearts


OK. This is my second chance of getting one. And this was the Superman one damn it! I'm ready and willing. Unfortunately, the guys behind me got two. Bastards again! And the guy next to me got one. I wanted to "tug-o-war" him for it, but let him have it.



Unlike last night, they played only one encore, "Chicago" which I thought wasn't really a true encore.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It was a great show, but it didn't compare to last night's.

Oh, by the way, look what my friend gave me at the end:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Thank you M!!!!!

Beer Rating:

No comments: