Event Calendar

14 October 2006

Sufjan Stevens (Zellerbach Hall, 10 October 2006)

So here I was at work, at around 8:30 p.m. Working on something really important. Something that needed all my brainpower and expertise. But I couldn't focus because I was in quite a dilemma. Do I dare miss Sufjan Stevens in Berkeley so I can continue working? After several calls from friends, I decided to bite the bullet and go to Sufjan. I drove as fast as I can, ran from one end of the Berkeley campus to the other, nearly ate it near a dance troupe practicing in the quad and made it with not a second to spare. Literally.

After I caught my breath, I was just in awe of the set-up. The last time I saw Sufjan was in Lincoln Center in New York. In that show, he had a full orchestra. Here in Berkeley, he was not only accompanied by a string and horn section, but also a full-on choir. I think at least 39 musicians were on-stage, with the choir dressed in all black while the rest had butterfly wings while Sufjan wore huge bird wings (since he is the Majesty Songbird).

The first song was "Sister" from the amazing album Seven Swans. It was a nice start to the show, and you can just hear Sufjan's soft and soothing voice just put a calm to the audience. Thank goodness, because it enabled me to catch my breath.

It's either the second or third song did Sufjan launch into "The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts." The band started off with Superman's theme music and then a barrage of Superman inflatables started dropping down from the sky. The lucky bastards who were able to keep one: I hate you. I wanted one so bad! But oh well. It was a fun song and very upbeat.

Sufjan played a little over 2 hours! Every single song was just amazing and it was just a perfect setlist all around. During "The Transfiguration," Sufjan and the entire band went on this really ominous sounding ending. Just a barrage of music and voices going all around, sounding like as if the apocalypse is about to happen. You had to be there to witness this. He did something similar towards the ending of "The Predatory Wasps of the Palisades is Out to Get Us!"

Sufjan then pushed the Berkeley crowds' buttons when he played "Detroit" and rooted for the Tigers. Ironically, the Tigers just killed the A's that night and the crowd wasn't having it. A friend of mine just came back from the A's game to catch Sufjan, A's foam finger and all, and got all pissed.

He also played a new song called "Majesty Songbird" It's a little under 10 minutes long and every single movement in it is just amazing to listen to. It's gripping. I loved it! If this is a sign of future Sufjan songs, then I can't wait for the new album to come out!

While Superman flew from the sky, so did Santa Claus when Sufjan played "The Worst Christmas Ever." Like my Superman luck, no Santa Claus for me. Damn you all.

He ended his main set with "Chicago." Which, by the way, was my theme music as I was running like crazy to the venue from my far away parking spot.

A standing ovation was well deserved. Sufjan then came back out, sans costume, with the rest of the band and played a 2 song encore. Again, I forgot what songs those were, but they were quite a treat.

I had no regrets leaving work, running like mad and almost breaking my bones to see Sufjan. It was an amazing show all around and I couldn't wait to see him again the next night.

I can't compare this to the Lincoln Center show since that show was just a special treat. This one though, came awfully close to surpassing that show. But, regardless, it was definitely one of the best shows of the year.

Beer Rating: 0 Beers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you have a full set list for the 10/10 show?