Event Calendar

02 October 2006

Mojave 3 (Slim's, 28 September 2006)

It was a cold, windy night in the City. Fall is back and I was very excited about it. What better way to celebrate the return of the best season of the year than to have a nice, chill night with Mojave 3?

This was the first time that I've ever seen seats and tables on the floor at Slim's. The show wasn't sold out, but I didn't think that they needed to fill all that space. They do this too at the Independent and at the Great American.

The people that were there witnessed a fantastic show. Mojave 3 played a good amount of songs from their new album, Puzzles Like You. One of my favourite songs in that album, "Truck-Driving Man" was played with such precision. Neil Halstead's voice was just heavenly as he sang "hearts on fire, he's back in control now." The keyboards were a bit off I thought, but it was all about Halstead's voice. "Big Star Baby" was also a treat to listen to live.

Of course, if you've been a long-time fan of Mojave 3, it was the older songs that were the treat. "Trying to Reach You" from Excuses for Travelers almost brought a tear to my eye because of its beauty and for sentimental reasons.


AND! "Give What You Take" from Out of Tune was just jaw dropping.

"Starlite No. 1" from Spoon and Rafter gave me the shivers. I thought it was the chill air, but, yet again, it was Neil Halstead's voice. Again, the keyboards I expected to really pull through for this song, but it fell short.

They didn't play everything that I wanted to hear, but beggars can't be choosers.

Beer Rating:

No comments: