Event Calendar

07 October 2006

Sonic Youth (The Fillmore, 1 October 2006)

I don't know much about Sonic Youth. I wouldn't consider myself a big fan since I only own one album of theirs, their 2004 release Sonic Nurse. I even decided to forego seeing them for a bite to eat when I saw the Yeah Yeah Yeahs in Brooklyn earlier this year.

Nonetheless, I was invited to go and I couldn't pass it up this time. Below is a review from the Sonic Youth fan I was with:

-----------------------

sonic fucking youth. kool things, indeed. everytime i see them, it's as if no time has passed. kim and thurston are proud parents in their 50s, yet still rock it like no other (mop-top hair circa 1994 and all!) although i had just seen them in july on this Rather Ripped tour, i couldn't pass them up for round 2. sonic youth is notorious for playing their most current material during each show, with one or two oldies (but goodies) thrown in the mix. i was really hoping i wasn't in for a mere repeat of july's set. lo and behold, i was in for a treat right from the beginning when they opened with TEENAGE RIOT. daydream nation? yes, please. ian couldn't help but laugh at me as i scribbled down the set list throughout the show. here's what i got... (though it might not be 100% accurate):

- teenage riot
- candle
- reena
- incinerate
- (the one song i couldn't recognize.... sung by lee renaldo. i have a feeling it may be from the washing machine album??)
- do you believe in rapture?
- what a waste
- turquoise boy
- rats
- jams run free
- pink steam
- or

encore #1
- the neutral
- KOOL THING!

encore #2
- the world looks red
- shaking hell

---> TWO songs from Confusion is Sex??? sweet. these guys do it to me every time. i know i'm stating the obvious here, but no one does feedback like sonic youth.... and no one does twirling in stiletto heels like kim gordon. NO ONE. high fives for waves of high school nostalgia!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The unnamed Lee R. helmed song was "Skip Tracer." Indeed, it is on Washing Machine.

Aubrey Andel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Aubrey Andel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.