Event Calendar

20 June 2006

Tapes n' Tapes, Cold War Kids (Cafe du Nord, 17 June 2006)

Minnesota's Tapes n' Tapes are getting so much hype in the blog world recently that it's driving my head in. Yes, The Loon is a good album, but it's not *that* good. I'm not saying that they are not worth the price of admission, but these bloggers all over the place are just raising my expectations to heightened levels. Only two bands have really "wowed" me with the hype: The Arcade Fire and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah! Tapes n' Tapes are not quite there yet.

Tapes n' Tapes played in front of a sold out crowd at Cafe du Nord. They were energetic and played a majority of their songs from The Loon. Biggest crowd pleasers included "More Cowbell," "Ten Gallon Ascots" and "Insistor" (my personal favourite -- since I was yelling out my favourite line "Just hold my lips and say good lies"). At times, the sound at Cafe du Nord didn't cooperate because I could barely decipher what the lead singer was saying. Regardless, they were excellent.

However, I think Cold War Kids overshadowed Tapes n' Tapes. I have read about Cold War Kids through various blogs (duh!) but never heard any of their songs until that night. These guys were awesome! Not only were they so energetic on stage, but the lead singer was very soulful in his singing and in his mannerisms. The guy was really into the music and the music was really into him. "We Used to Vacation," from their album Up in Rags was just full of conviction and feeling. "Hospital Beds" was also full of soul. This may sound like an insult, but it isn't, but the song sounded a bit Keane-ish. "Hang Me Up to Dry" was the absolute highlight with its unique guitar chords and damn that voice. A truly magnificent surprise. So much so that I will again go to their show at the Independent.

Beer Rating:

No comments: