Event Calendar

07 June 2006

Liars, The Apes (Bottom of the Hill, 5 June 2006)

Damn Liars!

This has to be one of the loudest shows I've ever been in. Even now, three days since the show, my ears are ringing like crazy. And the Apes also played a loud set, so my ears are doubly injured.

The Apes came on in between Rabbits and Liars. The Apes are from Washington, D.C. and they were loud. They have a new singer, who looked like a mix of Dizee Rascal and Dave Chapelle. They opened up their set with this hooded figure talking on the mic in some distorted voice. I was surprised to see that this hooded figure was a woman, but I should have expected it. I didn't know anything about these guys, but their music was full of energy and they were a lot of fun to watch. Even the youngsters in front were moshing around like crazy.

Liars came on and they just emitted so much noise from their instruments. I'm not that well versed with the Liars but I do know some of their songs. And for the life of me, I only really recognized one ("Be Quiet Mr. Heart Attack" from Drums Not Dead). I was so hoping they'd play "Mr. You're on Fire, Mr." but they didn't. THAT would have been fun. Instead, Angus and Co. played loud ass noise to the point where my ear drums will be dead. Angus and the drummer also wore these ridiculous outfits for no apparent reason. Angus also flashed the crowd several times by lifting his skirt.

The odd thing is: they played the YYYs after the Liars' set. Why they would do that, considering that Angus and Karen O. were lovers for a while, I have no clue.

The Liars were alright. That's about it.

Beer Rating:
1/2

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey man, where's the Jakob Dylan review already ???