Event Calendar

24 June 2006

Radiohead (Berkeley Greek Theatre, 23 June 2006)

Radiohead made a triumphant return to the Bay Area last night, and their first live show in California since Hail to the Thief was released a couple of years ago. Without a record contract in hand, the band seemed a lot more relaxed and easy going than usual. The sold out crowd was full of excitement, electricity and any other adjective you can think of synonymous with those.

The band kicked off their set with "You and Whose Army?", a rather odd choice since that song is typically in the middle of most Radiohead sets. But, this is Radiohead, and they like to spice things up a bit. There were 10 screens on-stage, each looking like shattered pieces of glass and whose images projected a member of the band. For this song, it was all Thom, complete with theatrics and the occassional eye brow raising and eye winking.

"The National Anthem" was on next. I thought this would be the first song because, before the band came on, blips of radio interviews were played in the P.A. (something about Hillary Clinton's candidacy for president). As usual, as loud and amazing as always, with Jonny twiddling with the gadgets he has up front.

The first installment of the new songs, "15 Steps" was played next with Thom saying "OK California" with an American (or is it Californian?) accent.

"Morning Bell" followed next, which I didn't pay attention to. "Exit Music (For a Film)" caught my attention, and it shent shivers down my spine everytime I hear Radiohead play it.

"Arpeggi" was the next new song played. It was beautiful, but it didn't quite capture me as the next song, "Videotape." My God, "Videotape" is an amazing song, with fantastic lyrics:

when im at the pearly gates thisll be on my videotapewhen Mephistopholis is just beneathand he's reaching up to grab methis is one for the good daysand i have it all here in red blue greenyou are my centre when i spin awayout of control on videotape


Skipping a few songs from the setlist, a song they played from the Bends called "Street Spirit (Fade Out)" was played. Again, shivers down my spine. Although I was pretty far away, and thought the sound was so-so, this song got my full attention.

I didn't start going a little crazy until me and my friends hopped on the wall and got a better view. "Bangers N Mash" was played, complete with Thom in the little drumkit (Jonny also played the mini drums in another song, but I don't know which that was). I got really into the show with "There There". There's just something about that song that makes me want to dance and go crazy.

After the main set, I went to the WC and listened to "Wolf at the Door" from the queue. My friends and I decided to go on the floor, which was much more of an amazing experience. "4 Minute Warning" was the song played, and just seeing Thom up close and personal is SO MUCH BETTER than being afar. Plus the sound was just dumbfounding from up close.

As usual, they ended with "Everything in Its Right Place." I didn't notice this before, but Ed was talking on the phone when he played the blips. I don't know who he was calling, or if the phone just served as a listening device, but it was really cool. The screens flashed "Ever and Ever" when the sound was winding down (as opposed to "Forever" like in the last tour).

Although the setlist was alright, Radiohead was amazing as always. Complete setlist:

You And Whose Army?
The National Anthem
15 Step
Morning Bell
Exit Music (For a Film)
Arpeggi
Videotape
I Might Be Wrong
Street Spirit (Fade Out)
Nude
Down Is The New Up
Pyramid Song
Like Spinning Plates
Bangers 'N Mash
There There
Spooks
Idioteque
A Wolf At The Door
4 Minute Warning
Bones
Lucky
House of Cards
Everything In Its Right Place


Beer Rating: 1/2

No comments: