Event Calendar

22 February 2005

Secret Machines / Moving Units / Autolux (The Independent, 18 February 2005)

I have to admit, my expectations were pretty low for this show. Although the bill was quite appealing, with all three bands being one of those "up and comers" in the scene, and with pretty decent record releases within the last year, I just didn't know what to expect. From the looks of the sold out crowd, appealing seems to be an understatement.

Let's start off with Autolux, shall we? I have never seen this band, although I think their album Future Perfect is quite good. I was only able to catch their last song, because of my friend and I eating some BBQ across the street. Autolux was very, very similar to Midnight Movies. Girl drummer, very attractive, two blokes on the side, and the girl was singing. However, unlike Midnight Movies, this girl from Autolux can really dish out the drumming. Probably one of the best female drummers I have seen in a while. I don't know which song they played, but they rocked out for a good long time and I dug it immensely. I hoped to have seem more, but I'm sure these guys will be back supporting very soon (yeah, like 3 times!).

Next comes Moving Units. Dubbed as one of the hardest working bands in the business by Filter, you can tell that these guys are professionals. Despite having problems with their equipment, with the singer being shocked once with his mic, they put on a decent set. The catchy disco/electronic tunes were all there with "Fearless," "Killer-Lover," "Birds of Prey," "Submission," "Anyone," "Between Us and Them," "Emancipation," "Melodrama," and "X and Y" being the more memorable ones. However, something left me empty with Moving Units. They were just flat. They weren't excellent, they weren't bad, but they were just flat. Dare I say it, they are like The Bravery: fantastic on MP3 but not so good live. They put on a valiant effort to engage the crowd, which did work at times, but other times it was just a futile attempt.

Finally, Secret Machines. At this point of the show, I couldn't care less about them since I was tired and annoyed with the crowd and the lack of good bands this year. The lighting was excellent, and they did churn out the tunes from their debut release. However, like the bands that preceded them, they were just flat in my opinion. The energy was there, but it wasn't enough to move me to be into it. It was not until "Nowhere Again" did I start to pay attention but that was the encore song by that time. They failed to grab me, and it shows with the other folks watching them since a good portion of the people have exited the building. Not that it's empty inside, but it was noticeably less people in there halfway through their set.

Overall, a show that is flat with a few highlights.

Beer Rating: 3.5 Beers

No comments: