Event Calendar

27 February 2005

Rogue Wave (Slim's, 26 February 2005)

Noisepop is like playing musical chairs in an elementary school gym on a rainy day. Scenesters run around the city, hopping from venue to venue to experience the latest hype-generated bands, established independent music vets, and local faves. On this rainy night, however, we arrived to find that the scenesters weren't playing the game at Slim's. That's not to say that it wasn't a full house -- this was the most crowded I had ever seen it at Slim's. But what was unusual was the fact that the crowd was late 30s mainstream folk. This year has been pretty eclectic in terms of the crowds we homogenize with -- from the scenesters at The Bravery to the bloodied faces of the East Bay Rats to the fey pixies at Joanna Newsom, I thought I had seen it all. But seriously, was this a company Christmas party or a Dave Matthews concert? No -- it was indeed a Noisepop show, and Rogue Wave was headlining.

We arrived to the upbeat sounds of The Comas. We only caught one and a half songs, but judging from the crowd's reaction, they played a solid set of catchy melodies. During the set change, my anticipation grew as the large crowd maneuvered for position to catch a glimpse of what could be a great band to come out of Oakland. Surely a crowd this large must beget a decent performance.

Rogue Wave took the stage and played a song. I'm not going to pretend that I know which song it was, because really, all their songs sort of blended into each other in a goulash of mediocrity. In their defense, they had an uphill battle to climb for three reasons -- they were playing at the worst venue in San Francisco, I was not familiar with their music (nor will I ever be), and they had to follow a great performance from Joanna Newsom on the previous night. That being said, let me rant about mediocre bands. Is it me, or is everything on pitchfork these days a 7 or an 8? Is music really that great right now, or have our standards declined? I mean c'mon -- 8.3 for the Scissor Sisters? 8.2 for the Secret Machines? Rogue Wave was given a generous 7.8 by pitchfork for Out Of the Shadow, and judging from their performance, they must not have played anything from said album, because every song was more uninspiring than the last. The singer sounded exactly like Ben Gibbard from Death Cab/Postal Service, except he wasn't crying or anything. They played two covers - a Beach Boys song and a Buddy Holly song. I forget which ones, but I think the Buddy Holly one was Everyday. Their songs weren't really that horrible, but there was nothing about them that stood out from the rest of the crap that kids call music these days. The crowd seemed to agree with my sentiments, as they slowly dissipated throughout the set. By the end of the night, half the crowd had left. They probably went to the Holy Cow or something.

I had three beers that night, and didn't enjoy a second of it, so I'm going to give it a 4.

Beer Rating: 4 Beers

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with this reviewer on everything. Rogue Wave isn't agressively bad, but they are among the most mediocre bands in town these days. Seeing them and bands like the Mates of State (same old boring crap year after year) makes me want to go home and sleep for the next year, in the hope that the music will start to get interesting again.

Anonymous said...

That wasn't the show I was at. I think you were high.

The place was packed from start to finish, and judging from the encores, the crowd left happy.