Event Calendar

16 February 2005

Call & Response (Cafe Du Nord, 12 February 2005)

I was just about to write a one word review that can basically some up Call & Response's entire performance: boring. However, I feel that I need to justify this rather blunt and simple statement.

See, although Call & Response were boring, it was only 90% of their fault. I ate a 4 course vegan dinner at the fabulous Millenium Restaurant before going to the show. By that time, my stomach was full of flourless chocolate cake and tempeh based dishes. I was experiencing that bliss that all food lovers enjoy: food coma.

The night started off bad with a rather mediocre set by Bart Davenport. His songs were trite, boring, and flat. The only thing that made his set at least somewhat appealing were his stupid poses on stage. Poses so silly that it would make any 80s hair metal rock star jealous. What made his set worse was the addition of his friend with a rather complicated and long name. He played the flutophone for two of the songs. Unfortunately, the flutophone added nothing to the songs. Even the stage act of playing two flutaphones at once did absolutely nothing to save this set. If there were tomatoes at hand, I probably would have thrown some at them.

After another opening band, Call & Response came on. Don't get me wrong, I like their albums (I have both of them and the EP) and was somewhat excited to see them. Instead of them playing a mix of their discography, they pretty much stuck with their latest release, Winds Take No Shape, which would have been fine if it wasn't for the lack of stage presence of the band. The lead singer was dull. Even the rather boisterous and dancey bass player did nothing. When I saw them open up for Sing-Sing, they were a fantastic band, full of energy. Instead, they played their songs with no energy. It wasn't until they played "Rollerskate" or "California Floating in Space" did they get a noticeable reaction. I was not the only one not feeling this show. By the time the main set was over, a good amount of the already small crowd have left.

It's a damn shame that Call & Response did not put on a good show. They write great songs, but it just didn't translate live this time around.

Beer Rating: 6 pack and liquor

No comments: