Event Calendar

26 February 2005

Hot Hot Heat (GAMH, 24 February 2005)

Remember back in the days where the band that you liked were not so popular with the in-crowd? That's my experience with Hot Hot Heat. I remember when they were just mere lads who opened up for The Walkmen at the Bottom of the Hill two years ago. And my, look at them now! Selling out the Great American and playing bigger venues than the Walkmen (who incidentally sold out Bimbo's which is a smaller venue than the GAMH). However, the Walkmen played The O.C. while Hot Hot Heat haven't.

I came in late to the show - partly because I was running late and partially because I knew that the opener will take a while. As I joined my friend at the front, on came Hot Hot Heat. The band looked refreshed and energized after what seems like a long absence. Steve Bays grew out his Jewfro and he looks fab! Kinda crazy like Carrot Top but still stylish enough to take on all the scenesters. Oddly enough, they started off with my favourite song, "No, Not Now" which quickly energized the crowd and a rather tired me. Amazing what a few strokes of the keyboard can do for the song. The band was full of energy, and Steve was bouncing around and playing with the audience.

Obviously, because of the new album, Hot Hot Heat played some tunes in their a little over an hour long set. "Goodnight, Goodnight," their current single, was played pretty early on in the set. The energy in that song was a lot more than I expected, and the crowd seem to love it. They also played a slew of other new songs, which I don't know the titles to, but were just excellent live. If the live versions of these songs are any indication of how the recorded ones will sound, I cannot wait to pick up their album.

Of course, they played the hits that made them the grown up boys of indie rock that they are. "Bandages," their biggest hit off of Make Up The Breakdown, was just amazing this time around. It was loud, boisterous, and the crowd ate it up.

Minus the douche bag that started pushing the crowd around, it was a flawless show.

Beer Rating: 2 Beers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually Bimbo's is somewhat larger than the GAMH.

But they usually leave more seats on the main floor, and even when they don't they have the booths around the main floor.

If they stripped out all the furniture, and packed people in like Slim's/GAMH/BOTH etc. they would have "room" for many more people than those clubs