Event Calendar

06 February 2005

Luna (The Fillmore, 5 February 2005)

After fourteen years, Luna played their last show last night at a sold out Fillmore. This is my first and, unfortunately, the last time I'll be seeing Luna and I thoroughly enjoyed their set. I only have one album, the recent release Rendezvous, and I was satisfied with the night after they played tracks off that album. Little did I know that there was more in store for me.

"Malibu Love Nest" was done to perfection with Deans' voice being sharp and crisp. Although Britta's bass was too high for this song, and at some others throughout the show, I barely noticed it since I was really into the song. The guitars during "Speedbumps" were just absolutely amazing. I was very impressed with their guitar work and everything seemed to be in perfect sync. "Cindy Tastes of Barbecue" was a very entertaining track because the opening chords sound like Cornershop's "Brimful of Asha." Thus, I couldn't help but hum the Cornershop tune everytime I heard that chord sequence. I bet that would be a good mash up actually. But my favourite song of all out of Rendezvous is "Still at Home." It is such a beautiful song on the album, and is even more beautiful live because, well, it's live. Sean Eden's voice was surprisingly good, just because I thought such a voice wouldn't translate well live.

Most of the songs Luna played I didn't know, but there were two songs worth noting. Their rendition of Serge Gainsborg's "Bonnie and Clyde" was fantastic. Britta has big shoes to fill because Laetitia Sadier originally sang the female vocals, but Britta did well. I barely noticed the difference actually. Also, I didn't know this, but apparently Luna are famous for doing random covers during their encore. Well, they did a cover of a notable disco classic "Rock Me Baby" (Note: I think that's the title, but the chorus has those words so I just assumed). It caught me totally off guard and Dean's voice was perfect for the cover.

Overall, a good show and it is rather unfortunate that I was such a late bloomer to Luna. Like how I was with Dean's former band, Galaxie 500. However, at least I can say I saw them one last time.

Beer Rating: 2.5 Beers

No comments: