Event Calendar

16 February 2005

Interpol / Blonde Redhead (The Warfield, 14 February 2005)

Besides the fact that they were playing on Valentine's Day, this is Blonde Redhead and Interpol's second stab in front of a Bay Area audience. Blonde Redhead played Bimbo's late last year and Interpol played this very same venue late last year as well. Now, Blonde Redhead and Interpol's first of a two night residency at the Warfield hope to improve on their past performances.

As previously mentioned in my 16 November review of the Blonde Redhead gig at Bimbo's, I gave them a 5 beer rating and proceeded to call them Blonde Shitehead yet again. However, I really think that they are a good band despite that show and was willing to give them a second look. I have to say, they were much, much better this time around compared to their Bimbo's gig just 3 months earlier. The sound was crisp and loud, and you can actually hear Kazu belt out her voice. The band pretty much played their most recent release, Misery is a Butterfly, and nothing else. The highlight song of the night was "Equus." During their Bimbo's show, "Equus" was really flat and lacked that dance element that was prevalent in the album. Now, thanks to the wonders of acoustics and expensive speakers, "Equus" finally got the live rendition it so truly deserved. Add to that Kazu looking hot in her low cut, backless custom made dress and the band being tight in their playing, "Equus" and the rest of the songs from Misery is a Butterfly were well done. A vast improvement from their Bimbo's show, and now I will call Blonde Shitehead their true name once again.

Where Blonde Redhead shined, Interpol was only so-so. When I saw Interpol on 26 October, I gave them a stellar review, mentioning at the end that I was looking forward to seeing them again. Well, I did but they seemed to fall flat at times throughout the show. They opened with the same song as before, "Next Exit," and surprised the audience when the song after that was their big hit "Slow Hands" from their second release, Antics. After those two songs were played, all the songs started to sound the same.

Other than the occassional antics (pun intended) of Carlos D., the band did not exert the energy that they did before. Although they were tight and sounded great, something in my viewing of the show left me unfulfilled. Were my expectations too high? Was my show ruined because of this ugly couple constantly making out right in front of me? Was it the loud teeny-boppers on my left side? Who knows. One thing is for sure though: Interpol was only so-so this time around.

Beer Rating: 3 Beers

No comments: