Event Calendar

08 October 2004

Supergrass (Fillmore, 5 October 2004)

Rating: 6 pack

So, Supergrass is celebrating their 10th anniversary by touring selected cities to promote their new best of compilation. Let me tell you something about best of compilations. In my opinion, and in the very general sense, having a best of compilation means either (1) your band is over (see Suede, Pulp); (2) your band is changing direction and will never sound the way it was again (see Blur); or (3) your band has had its day in the sun and their careers are setting.

Place Supergrass in the third category. Don't get me wrong. They have created some fantastic albums, with "I Should Coco" being my favourite, but there was just something plain about Supergrass tonight and in all their albums after that. They don't have that same amount of enthusiasm and freshness in their songs. They've become more mature. Sometimes maturity takes the fun out of life, but Supergrass went from being ridiculously fun ("Alright," "Caught by the Fuzz") to just plain, well, serious (see all songs after "I Should Coco").

Tonight, Supergrass did just that: bore the hell out of me. It was an okay show, but the songs did not have that same "umph" that I would have expected out of Gaz and co. The crowd was also so-so into it, with a few die hards in the front. Otherwise, the show was average by my standards. I think my friend said it best, "I was too busy eating nachos to tell you about the show."

It's a damn shame. Or maybe I'm the one getting older? Hmmm....

No comments: