Event Calendar

21 October 2004

The Concretes (Great American Music Hall, 20 October 2004)

Beer Rating: 2.5-3 Beers

First off, I just want to vent on one topic before going on a review of this show: farters. There is a tendency for people who drink lots of alcohol to formuate gas in their digestive system. And once this part of the system has just too much of the stuff, that is when your gluteus maximus plays an essential role in relieving you of this. Well, next time you are at a show, and I am behind you, and you need to pass gas, just politely tell me to "save your spot" and go to a corner. Pass your gas, and then proceed. Don't do the silent fart thing and then stink it up.

This is precisely what happened to me last night. As I was enjoying the Concretes' alternate rendition of "Seems Fine," someone lays the silent stinker. Ruined the vibe. Bitch!

Anyways, back to the show. As I entered the GAMH, I was greeted with a bunch of people all in the periphery of the dance floor, thus making the entire dance floor vacant. This was for the opener. It was, as if, the mush pot in duck duck goose is not the cool place to be in. I have never seen this phenomenon before at the GAMH, and it was quite a sight. Fortunately, the crowd decided to become friendly and fill in the middle once the Concretes started.

A majority of the songs they played was from their self-titled sophomore release. I didnt't realize that the Concretes consisted of 9 members (I thought they were only 4) and all of them had a critical part in each and every song. Even the percussion guy with the tambourine(allegedly the producer of their album). The lead singer's voice on the album sounded the same live, with that nice, soft Mazzy Starr-ish voice.

Amongst the many songs they played, my favourites were: Say Something New, You Can't Hurry Love, Lovin Kind, This One's For You, and Seems Fine. As I said above, Seems Fine was done twice. Once with the album version and another with a slower, more country/folksy rendition. Both versions were awesome, and I anxiously await the release of the alternate version. They even played their Christmas song, whose title I do not recall, which they just finished two weeks ago.

In their encore (I think), they played a Rolling Stone's cover . . . yet again whose title I do not remember. Awesome cover though.

Final note: the lead singer was very shy and seemed like she was anxious to leave the stage. She was very cute in that sense. Otherwise, the entire band was enjoying themselves a lot (we even sang "Happy Birthday" to Martin, and were quite peppy.

Overall: an excellent show if it wasn't for the farter.

No comments: