Event Calendar

10 October 2004

Citizens Here and Abroad (Hemlock Tavern, 8 October 2004)

Beer Rating: 2 beers

My friend Joe calls me up on a lazy Friday evening and tells me, "Hey, you want to see Citizens Here and Abroad?" You don't understand the surge of energy that went into my system. See, Joe burned me a copy of this Bay Area based indie group and thought that it was great stuff. So good that I had to buy a true copy of their debut LP, "Ghosts of Tables and Chairs." The LP is a dreamy collection of moody and artful songs. Best comparison that comes ot mind is Lush back in their shoegaze, pre-"Ladykillers" days.

So, after paying a modest $6 fee, and just coming back from Edinburgh Castle to see another band, i smooshed into the small room at the back of the Hemlock to see them. The sound in the Hemlock isn't exactly Carnegie Hall, but the sound system could have been better and the bands' songs deserved it. Adrienne Robilliard's voice and the instruments that accompanied it would have been fantastic but for the sound. Songs like, "They Stay," "In Flight Movie," and "Appearances" which sound great in the album, were robbed of its "umph" with the thumping drums, rapid fire guitar, and Adrienne's voice because of the sound system.

Regardless, I made the most of it and found the entire show entertaining. I am most amazed with their drummer, Chris Wetherell, whose unorthodox drumming (well, it could be orthodox) form was forceful and unique.

No comments: