Event Calendar

01 October 2004

Music Review: The Delgados, "Universal Audio"



Rating: 8/10

I have to admit, I didn't really like The Delgados at first. It all stemmed when my friend and I were driving to Los Angeles and during the entire trip, she would play tracks from a couple of albums ad nauseum. It drove me nuts! There's only so much of the line "this is not my house" that I can take.

But that was several years ago, and I'd like to think that my taste in music has evolved and I have a keener ear. Fortunately, The Delgados are one of those bands that I hated at first, but now consider one of the "special bands" that require me to have their complete discography.

"Universal Audio" is not a major departure from their previous releases. It seems to be a continuation of "Hate" in some respects because it's louder and poppier. One need only hear their first single "Everybody Come Down" to see this extra pop present. Also, it seems that Paul Savage is finally having more gusto in his voice. "Get Action!" seems like a different rendition of "Hate" and he actually emits an almost scream during the chorus. Which I find surprising.

My favourite track of them all is "Girls of Valour," another Paul vox song with a really catchy guitar riff and a variety of background noises. It may sound like a typical pop song, but it is much more complex than that. I can't really describe it, but it's just a great song.

The lowdown: a must have CD that will not upset die hard Delgados fans because it isn't a radical change from their previous albums. I look forward to seeing them live in November.

No comments: