Event Calendar

04 May 2008

Travis (The Fillmore, 20 December 2007)

OK. This is six months late, but I've been busy. And I was planning my trip to Paris during this time, so making an effort to put a concert entry back then was unimaginable. And don't get me started with how busy work was...

So, here I am. In May, trying to remember what happened at the Travis show back in December. I do remember this. They came in not through the stage, but through the crowd. They were in the back and that theme song to every single boxing match came on. And here come Travis, with their boxing robes on ready to knock the crowd out with their songs. Sorry, that's as cheezy as I get.

A lot of people didn't pay much attention to Travis' new album, The Boy With No Name. It is definitely one of my top five from 2007. It's not that it was so original or "knock your socks off," it's the nostalgia that's tied with it. It's the best album they're released since The Man Who, just because The Boy With No Name is the album that closely resembles The Man Who.

Travis played everything I wanted to hear. Everything that I loved on The Man Who was played, including my personal favourite, "Turn." They were playful throughout the set, and were tight all around. Their age showed though, as Fran was turning a bit grey, Andy was unable to climb the speakers and jump as high compared to years past. Then there's Dougie, who seems like never aged one bit. He still has that big grin on his face as he strums the three or four notes of his bass. Then the pelvic thrusts he loves to do when he plays.

Although it wasn't as enjoyable as when I saw them in Coachella earlier in summer 2007, they still brought me back to my early 20's where everything was fresh and new. Cheers, Travis!

No comments: