Event Calendar

02 December 2007

Sondre Lerche (Swedish American Music Hall, 11 November 2007)

My second helping of Scandinavian crooners came on Sunday night when I saw Sondre Lerche perform a solo show at the Swedish American Music Hall. As expected, the Norwegian Lerche asked several questions about playing in a Swedish music hall. "Are there any Norwegian music halls in San Francisco?" asked Lerche. "That's okay, we're using Swedish electricity!" And the list goes on and on. Apparently, there is this competitive spirit among the Swedes and the Nordes, but that's beyond me.

Sondre didn't play everything acoustically. He used, on occassion, his electric guitar. He played a lot of newish songs, even some from the Duper Sessions and songs that he wrote for the move Dan in Real Life. But his biggest applause came when he played songs from Faces Down or Two Way Monologue. In fact, Sondre received not one, but two standing ovations during his nearly 90 minute set. He even mingled with the crowd in the lobby after the show.

I never saw Sondre before, and I wish I did see him with a full band rather than him alone. But he was still very good. His voice was top notch during the whole event, and he talked a lot. Telling stories and just smart comments. Acknowledging some of the crowd requests as well, even some of the hecklers (who heckled with good intentions).

He ended his set with "Sleep on Needles," but I wish he played more. The crowd made many requests, but some of them he doesn't remember. I wished he played "Single Hand Affairs," but oh well.

No comments: