Event Calendar

04 May 2008

The Verve (The Warfield, 23 April 2008)

The last time I saw the Verve was nearly 10 years ago at the Mayan Theatre in Los Angeles. Can you believe that? I saw Richard Ashcroft perform solo during his first solo LP back in New York at the Bowery Ballroom, but that's a whole different show. A decade ago, Ashcroft was God-like and that L.A. show was just out of this world unbelieveable.

Now, 10 years later, I get to see them again! I missed the first two songs, much to my dismay, but I did catch the rest of the set from the far corner of the floor. It was AMAZING! Ashcroft was still God-like and the lighting just added more to his aura. The band were tight, the sound was LOUD, and Ashcroft sang with so much vigor and passion. And he looks healthy too.

They only sang two new songs, both of which were fantastic. Definitely sounded very Verve-like. Which may sound non-sensical but some bands reunite only to sound something completely different. Their classics were just nostaligic. "Lucky Man" choked me up. I sang "On Your Own" with Ashcroft from start to finish. I was amped up for "Rolling People." And his rendition of "Drugs Don't Work" will make any junkie turn their life around.

They played two songs for their encore. Although "History" wasn't one of them, unlike the lucky New Yorkers, they did play "Bittersweet Symphony." Ashcroft dedicated the song to all the black musicians who didn't get properly compensated in their contributions to rock music. This song drove the crowd wild, of course.

But song, after song, after song. It was just a great show from start to finish. And Ashcroft and the Verve were in top form. I can't wait to see them again.

Here are some photos from a fan at the show.

No comments: