Event Calendar

04 May 2008

The Magnetic Fields (The Herbst Theatre, 29 February 2008)

It was Noise Pop! weekend and I was very excited to *finally* see the Magnetic Fields. I'm not exactly a huge fan, but some of my favourite songs are Magnetic Fields songs. Their new album, Distortion, is not that great. But, then again, can you really improve upon 69 Love Songs?

The Herbst Theatre is a beautiful venue. I think it serves as a opera and symphony space as well. It's a very fitting one for the Magnetic Fields. We had seats on the first few rows of the lobby, so our view was perfect.

Stephin Merritt was wearing a hat, and wasn't that talkative throughout the show. But when he spoke his one-liners, it was smart enough that people laughed. Many stories were shared. Some about their experiences in San Francisco in the past. Some great, some not so great, but all funny.

We all got a good chuckle when they sang "I Hate California Girls." Other than that, I forgot what they played. Wait, they played "Kiss Me Like You Mean It." That's partly because I drank way too much wine beforehand, and dozed off during bits and parts of the show.

But I really liked the show! Here's som
e pictures taken by a fan. It truly captures the moment.

No comments: