Event Calendar

14 May 2005

Supersystem (Popscene, 12 May 2005)

After Ivy, I took a cab over to Popscene to meet up with friends. I forgot that Supersystem was playing and a DJ set by Mr. LCD Soundsystem himself was in order later that evening.

Well, my friend from DC didn't show up and my other friends showed up close to midnight. As I was nursing my Heineken, I sat down and took in the atmosphere. I was dead tired, and some moment alone was definitely needed. Supersystem came on at around 11pm and they got the crowd hopping from the get go. I'm not that familiar with anything they've released, but after listening to them (I didn't see them at all since I was very, very far away), I think I'll pick up their CD.

Their sound is a lot like !!! or LCD Soundsystem. Very dancey, with a bit of rock and some percussion for some spice. Once my friends arrived, their last song was being played. We went to the dance floor and danced and we were in perfect sync with the song. It was really good to dance to, despite us not knowing what the hell is being played. We were actually disappointed that they had to go, because the crowd was really getting into them. That's a rarity at Popscene since most of the audience wants the band to leave so they can dance to The Smiths.

Very surprising.

Beer Rating: 2.75 Beers

No comments: