Event Calendar

05 May 2005

Bright Eyes / The Faint (Concourse Exhibition Center, 4 May 2005)

After seeing The Faint and Bright Eyes at Coachella, and how amazing each band was, I was really excited to see them again here in S.F. I've never been to the Concourse before, although I heard it was huge. Franz Ferdinand played there, but I didn't go.

So, I go in there and it looks like a huge barn. Wood everywhere. Huge floor. Just a straight shot. Two elevated ramp areas which doubled as beer gardens. To me, it looked like a huge docking warehouse.

I entered in there and The Faint were already playing their second song. I was just glad that I didn't pull a Bravery this night. The Faint were fantastic as usual with the visuals, synths, and the overall music just blaringly loud but pleasant. I was far back this time, unlike Coachella where I was very close. Despite my far distance, I still enjoyed the show and continued to do some mini bounces and head nodding.

The visuals were the same as the Coachella appearance. Regardless, they were still great. Their set was longer than the Coachella one, and they even played a cover song. Nobody covers Neutral Milk Hotel, but they did it by covering "Holland, 1945." It was a surprising cover, but not a very good one. It was like The Faint were re-living their Media days.

The crowd really enjoyed The Faint. So much so that a huge amount of people left after The Faint. Not to say that Bright Eyes was left with an empty room because there was still a whole bunch of kids around.

As for Bright Eyes, I was again excited to hear more songs from Digital Ash... After hearing it live in Coachella, I am actually liking Digital Ash more and more.

However, Bright Eyes weren't that good here. It wasn't that they weren't good musically, but the whole environment and my exhaustion and anxiety wore me down. It seems like they played all the same songs from their Coachella set and only added one song from Lifted ("Lover I Don't Have to Love") and another song that I've never heard before as their encore.

The highlight songs here were "Gold Mine Gutted" and "I Believe in Symmetry." I don't know why they were so good, but they just were.

Oh, and the eye candy for this show was just downright ridiculous. Like, really ridiculous. It was like I was in indie/scenester heaven. Gotta love this!

Faint Beer Rating: 1.5 Beers
Bright Eyes Beer Rating: 3 Beers
Eye Candy Beer Rating: 0 Beer

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The one song on Lifted was Lover I don't Have to Love.

GG said...

FYI on your June music calendar you have Wilco listed as both playing at the Greek Theater and the Berkeley Community Theater... they are two different venues. I believe they are actually playing The Greek.