Event Calendar

15 May 2005

The Dont's (Lipo Lounge, 13 May 2005)

Lipo Lounge is a weird place. It's clientele is pretty much a grab bag of scenesters, hipsters, *normal* people and old Chinese men. The bartenders are two Chinese men - one who can barely hear anything and the other one makes a mean vodka cran. Downstairs is this makeshift underground, cavernous place where local bands come and play. It's a small hole in the wall, about the size of one's garage, and it is creepy as fuck.

So, my friend Joe's band, The Dont's, are playing with three other local bands in this Chinese mafia hideout (as Jonny Don't said.) It's hard for me to describe how The Dont's sound like. They are an indie band with that college sound to them. The singer, Jonny Don'n't has great stage presence. He engages the crowd a lot and he plays with the megaphone a lot. Joe is the guitarist and a real good one at that. Unlike Jonny, he's the "shy" person of the group. JJ is the bass player and Ken bangs out the drums.

Like my other friend's band, The Otherside, I don't know much of The Dont's material. I do know this really catchy song called "Sissy Resist" which is my personal favourite. They played it tonight and I thought they re-made it. I asked Joe after the gig and he said it's the same "Sissy Resist" they always played. Funny, I thought it was different, less faster than when they played it at Edinburgh Castle ages ago.

Jonny Dont loves that megaphone. He was using that thing pretty much for all the songs played. The sound was pretty good despite the location of the gig and there were a good amount of people supporting the band. The last three songs played were the best. The first of the three involved a cow bell (which makes any song that much better) while the other two are just nice indie rock tracks. Again, I wish I knew the titles to these songs, or could describe them better.

Overall, very good performance. Definitely check them out if you get a chance.

Beer Rating: 3 Beers

No comments: