Event Calendar

15 September 2005

The Bravery / Maximo Park (The Fillmore, 15 September 2005)

I'm fucking tired.

I took a 7am flight out of San Diego, meaning I had to wake up at 5am to get to the airport on time. Then I went to work right at 9am. Got out of work at around 5pm for fear of Bay Bridge traffic. After paying my bills online, I took my uncle to SFO for his flight to Manila. Finally, after a quick bite for dinner, I went to the Fillmore to see this fantastic show of two outstanding bands.

Maximo Park is a band from England that is all abuzz on the NME at the moment. Their brand of new wave like music is akin to current artists such as Franz Ferdinand and The Futureheads. We unfortunatley missed a couple of songs in their set, but the handful or so of songs that we did catch were just absolutely amazing. "Apply Some Pressure" was so tight and well done that if I wasn't so tired, I would have been dancing my arse off. Paul Smith's energy, magnificently tailored suit and perfect hair was the perfect visual for these amazing songs. Another great song was a new one, whose title I forget at the moment. "Now I'm All Over the Shop" was the last song of the set and the crowd were absolutely mad fer it. And so were we. We hated to see them leave, especially after such an energetic and tight set, but so the story goes.

Bravery were next after what seemed like an eternity of them setting up. These boys are as dressy and as energetic as ever. "Unconditional" and "Honest Mistake" received the most applause and raucous. As expected, Sam Endicott was all over the place with the mic stand moving from one end of the stage to another. In between part of their set, Sam commented on how this was a historical event since the Bravery finally made it to the Fillmore. It is actually since I've seen the Bravery at Cafe Du Nord, Slim's, Great American Music Hall and, now, The Fillmore. What's next? The Warfield? Shoreline? You have to hand it to the Bravery though, these guys put so much energy and chutzpah to their live shows and it's always an entertaining time. It's even entertaining to watch the bass player slowly undress and count how many beers he can guzzle per song.

Overall, an excellent billing of two great, up and coming bands.

Beer Rating:

1 comment:

The Tens said...

You are a madman. Good job on surviving.