Event Calendar

19 September 2005

The Arcade Fire (The Warfield, 18 September 2005)

I LOVE THE ARCADE FIRE!
I LOVE THE ARCADE FIRE!
I LOVE THE ARCADE FIRE!
I LOVE THE ARCADE FIRE!
I LOVE THE ARCADE FIRE!

Did I tell you that I LOVE THE ARCADE FIRE!

One would think that after seeing The Arcade Fire in every size venue possible, from as small as The Bottom of the Hill to as huge as the Hollywood Bowl, that they would lose their lustre. I mean, they've been touring non-stop all around the world in support of their debut album Funeral and their recently reissued EP for this entire year. During that time, they've stopped by S.F. a total of four times, and soon to be a 5th at the Download Festival. Well, they haven't lost a step. If not, they've improved and are better than ever.

By far, this is the most fun Arcade Fire show I've ever been to. It's because I actually got to dance and hop around like a chicken on crack. As the clock struck 10pm, the curtains opened with the band right there, ready to launch into "Wake Up." "Wake Up" was brilliantly done, as always, with Richard being able to move from one side of the stage to another, with accordion in hand, without tripping over something. I was at the far stage left, next to the speakers, just holding in my enthusiasm. I was jumping around, but nobody else was. I saw people in the middle front going crazy. I knew I had to join them.

Afterwards, I heard the opening beats to "Laika." At this point, I couldn't contain myself. Like a superhero dashing to save the damsel in distress, I ran towards the middle. I tried to be as courteous as possible, but there were some people unwilling to budge. So, I did the total asshole thing to do and just barged in. My apologies to the people, but I had to do it. I was jumping around like mad, shouting the words "LAIKA!!" I think Win stage dived at this point. I don't remember.

At this point, after "Haiti," their setlist concentrated on the EP. They played "No Cars Go," followed by "Headlights Look Like Diamonds." During "Headlights..." I did that whole "woo-woo" sound along witht the rest of the band. Then "Vampire/Forest Fire." The surpise of the night was "Cars and Telephones," a song I've never heard before live (or ever for that matter). The only reason why I know of the song is through the lyrics. Everyone was absolutely quiet for this song, with only a select handful knowing what it was. I was dumbfounded by it, and it was absolutely beautiful.

After the "oldies," as Win aptly called it, they played more songs from Funeral. "Une Année Sans Lumiere" was done, followed by a heart wrenching, emotional and very tear jerking "Crown of Love." My God! The passion in that song nearly drove me to tears. If it wasn't for my sweat soaked body at this point, I would have just cried.

Then, the rockin' portion. I think at this point, they played "Power Out" which drove the entire floor section M A D !!! And so was I. After the extended "Power Out," they then played "Rebellion (Lies)." I covered my friend Jason's eyes as is customary when I hear the song. We all yelled in unison "LIES!! LIES!!" Absolutely astounding!

Then after a short wait for the encore, and after the entire crowd was chanting "ONE MORE SONG!!" they did "Tunnels." Win had to stop the song because his mic wasn't working, but he started again. I am running out of synonyms to describe how amazing this version was compared to others I've seen before. There was just so much energy. 110% was given.

Then "Backseat" was on. The entire crowd was dead quiet, anticipating Regine's soft yet booming voice to resonate. And so she did! Instead of the usual funeral procession after the song, they launched into this LOUD and ROCK version as if this was the end of an Oasis concert. Then, as each band member picked up their unplugged instruments, one-by-one, each member approached the crowd. Win, with acoustic guitar, stage dived and was wisked away towards the back of the pack. Owen, with a xylophone, also stage dived. I gave Owen the BIGGEST bear hug. Also, Regine came close with two tambourines. I reached out for her hand and she held it intently for about 5 seconds. I wanted to kiss her hands to show my appreciation. Then here comes Owen again, with his bum hitting my head. I was waiting for Win to return, but he never did.

As I exited the venue, I noticed a HUGE crowd outside. It was Win! Playing fucking acoustic guitar right outside the Warfield, facing Market St. I don't know what he was playing, but he was just strumming the guitar. The crowd applauded loudly as he finished it, and calmly went back in.

OH MY GOD!!

It was FUCKING AMAZING!! Name one band, one fucking band, that would do this! NONE!! I can't think of one damn band that would give 110% of their energy and soul to entertain an audience and interact with them nonetheless. The Arcade Fire are pretty big for indie standards, but yet they haven't forgotten about the fans. Throughout their set, Win was so appreciative, telling the crowd "thank you" so many times, and at one point just saying, "We're so glad to be here!!" After their not so great experience at KROQ's Inland Invasion (Win said there were 3000 people on the lawn and 30 people in the front talking on their mobiles), Win was just glad to see REAL people.

So, I'm seeing them again in Austin on Friday at Stubbs, at ACL on Saturday and then at Download Festival in S.F. I can't wait!!!

I'm going to take a shower now and go to bed...

Beer Rating: 0 Beers.

-- Photos by Edwin Lee

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WONDERFUL review....one of the best we've read....made us feel like we were there with you (and we wish we were)!

Can't wait till our next time to see them :-)

Love on ya



Spidey & Don
=^..^= =^..^=