Event Calendar

27 September 2005

The Arcade Fire (Stubb's BBQ, Austin, TX, 23 September 2005)

This must be what hell feels like in the morning...

I'm in Austin, Texas to attend the world famous Austin City Limits Festival. But, as a precursor to that event, I bought two tickets to see the most fucking amazing band of all time: Arcade Fire. They're playing at Stubbs BBQ which is a BBQ joint and concert venue.

It was hella hot in Austin. Try 100+ degrees in the daytime, lowering to a comfortable high 70's to mid 80's in the evening. Thank goodness it was the evening, because Stubb's is an outdoor venue. And a great one at that. The stage is elevated up high and the entire floor is lined with gravel and dirt. The acoustics were just fabulous, even if it's an outdoor venue.

We missed the Black Keys, even though we did watch their performance from the telly whilst eating my BBQ sides. I got me some cheap, top shelf mixed drink and effortlessly made my way up the front. Texans are so nice! So, I had a great spot, stage left, to see Arcade Fire. I could hardly contain myself!

Here they come and they started off with a Bob Dylan cover entitled "Hard Rain." I didn't know what it was until well after the show. It was an amazing song, and it started the show off right instead of the typical "Wake Up."

Well, "Wake Up" did follow and once Owen and Sara started playing the strings, that's when I started going crazy. Subdued, but yet crazy (if that makes any sense). I was yelling from the top of my lungs the shouting portion of the song, with my drink raised high and my eyes closed to capture the feeling of the song. I danced to the "dancy" portion of the song, so much so that I may have created a mini dust cloud from the gravel. By the way, the persons around me were doing the same.

"Laika" followed, with as much intensity as their previous performances. This time, Will went up on the speakers, stage left, and towered over the crowd like King Kong swatting planes from the Empire State Building. Richard was left with banging his own helmet-shielded head with the drumsticks.

Win then said that "We're the Arcade Fire from Montreal." He also made some remarks about the people in Houston and South Texas who were fleeing from Rita.

I forgot what song was played next, but they did play their EP set. This was different from their San Francisco performance. It included "No Cars Go," "Headlights Look Like Diamonds," and "My Heart is an Apple." They also played "Queen's Bitch" by David Bowie. This was the first time I've ever heard their rendition of this song, and it was absolutely beautiful. I was singing along to the verse.

"Crown of Love" was another highlight. My God, this song just tugs on my heartstrings and makes my spine tingle. Especially the beginning, where the keys were first played by Win and then his voice just taking over from there.

I think it was at the "fast" part of "Crown of Love" that I decided to join all the "Rowdies" in the front, center. I was hopping around like mad, singing along, getting high fives from all the boys around me. One guy said, "Wait til "Rebellion (Lies)"!!" Oh, I'm ready! This guy didn't know who he was messing with.

But man did I meet my match a song or two later....

During "Tunnels," this large, gargantuan guy joined us Rowdies in the front. I swear he was Andre the Giant's long lost child because this guy was H-U-G-E!!! I looked at the "Rebellion (Lies)" guy and we both had an expression on our faces that this was truly the end of our lives. I spoke to Andre Jr. and said, "Dude, you're going to fucking kill us all!!" And he just laughed.

"Power Out" came on and here we go going all crazy! Like CRAZY!!! Jumping around, I found my way in the pseudo mosh pit (it was a friendly one) and got battered pretty bad, but felt good. Then the segway to "Rebellion (Lies)" came on. I went crazy for that too!! See, I didn't have any friends around me, so I needed to find willing suspects for my eye closing routine. So, I put my hands over the "Rebellion (Lies)" guys eyes for a few seconds and he was ready and willing. He enjoyed it and said "FUCK YEAH!!" I then did the same to Andre Jr.!! I thought he was going to kill me but he was so happy and he happily obliged! He then did the same to me, his gargantuan hands covering my entire face (and I have a pretty big head mind you). He then shuffled my hair with his large fingers and we did the whole high five thing and yelled out "FUCK YEAH!!"

FUCK YEAH!!!

At this point, Will plopped his guitar down and gently brought his entire body on the crowd! I was right underneath him and the Rowdies and I carried him around. I then asked him, "Where do you want to go Win?" He used his eyes to signal back to the stage and me and the others wisked him there. My lower back was pressed on the stage as he came back, so basically my upper torsoe was lying on the stage! It was AWESOME!!!

Thank God for the pause between encores. It was hot, I was surrounded by 40 sweaty, stinky boys and girls and I was thirsty. After asking the guy in front of me to steal Win's water, I guzzled it down and shared it amongst the Rowdies. I made a comment to "Rebellion" boy saying that Austin is a great town and that Stubb's is a fantastic venue.

So, here comes the encore. I forgot what they played, but here comes Win again! This time, his arse hit my head. I hugged him for a bit, to show my appreciation and then we wisked him back again.

It was a FANTASTIC show and definitely the highlight of my whole Austin, Texas experience. I was so enthused that when I saw my pal Jim, I ran to him and climbed on his back like he was giving me a piggy back ride! I was still euphoric, hopping all around like a deranged rabbit and shouting out, "I LOVE THE ARCADE FIRE!!!"

We then went bar hopping. Mind you, my entire shirt and undershirt was drenched. It looked like I came out of Rita for crying out loud! I stunk too, but nobody seemed to mind. I had the orange bracelet, which signifies my Stubb's attendance.

This band can do no wrong.

Beer Rating: 0 Beers

No comments: