Event Calendar

26 September 2005

Austin City Limits Festival: Day One (Zilker Park, Austin, TX, 23 September 2005)

This is your music correspondent reporting from the hottest place on Earth: Austin, Texas. It's around 100+ degrees on Friday afternoon here in Zilker Park. The only band I wanted to see the entire day was Kasabian, so I just went to the festival's first day just for that. They came on at around 1:30pm and put on another spectacular performance.

Unlike their tour with Oasis, I actually caught their entire set this time. There was a good sized crowd at the AMD stage, despite the overwhelming heat. They played the exact same songs as before. "LSF," "Processed Beats" and "Club Foot" were among the crowd favourites. Well, they were my favourite at least.

Throughout the entire set, Sergio was commenting on how hot it was out here and how they were very appreciative of the turn out despite the circumstances. Although they sounded like they were in top form, they said that they weren't feeling very well. I think the heat has something to do with it, and the fact that they haven't smoked hash in a while.

After that excellent set, I decided to walk around the festival grounds just to get a gauge of what's up. First, I went shopping at the SoCo Art Market and found some good stuff and a cowboy hat to shield me from the elements. Then I checked out the food court where they had every single cuisine imaginable at reasonable prices. The layout of the entire festival grounds was well organized, with water stations stratigically placed and volunteers all around. There was even a Starbucks tent where I guzzled down some fraps throughout the entire weekend. Corporate sponsorships has its benefits, including getting a free fan/water spray gizmo from the SBC folks and a free picture from Cingular's tent.

I also bought my souvenirs that day at the Festival Market. I got an undated, black ACL shirt and a couple of other things at the Waterloo Records tent. I noticed that Kasabian cancelled their autograph appearance -- so their "not feeling well" statement made more sense.

I decided to go back to my car (the shuttles rule!) and just roam around Austin to know the lay of the land. Checked out the drag, ate a tempeh taco, and then went back to the hotel.

So, for Kasabian:

Beer Rating:

No comments: