Event Calendar

13 June 2005

Gravy Train!!! / Hey Will Power (Cafe Du Nord, 11 June 2005)

So, the kids were out tonight yet again at Cafe Du Nord. I thought only Popscene attracted the hordes of kids with the black X on their hands. Well, there was a whole sea of them at the Gravy Train!!! and Hey Will Power show tonight. Which made me feel like an old fart because I am almost a decade older than some of these shorties. And there were a lot of short people tonight. Why? I have no clue. I hope the next generation of kids aren't fulfilling their USDA daily requirement of vitamins because they're not growing!

I arrived late because I think I just sold my server to Al Qaeda and had to show them how to use the server. It was around 11pm when I arrived which was fortunately just in time to see Hey Will Power. I have no idea how this band sounds like. I thought that they would sound a lot like Gravy Train with a bunch of basic beats and a lot of shouting. Kind of like Bis in the old days. And with an established artist like Will Schwartz from Imperial Teen at vocals, I thought this was going to be a synth rock spectacular. Well, it was synth based, but nobody ever prepared me for what I was about to see.

Hey Will Power consists of Mr. Schwartz, two dancers (guy and girl) and another guy manning the iBook and the synths. Schwartz's vocals and lyrics are reminiscent of the boy bands of yesteryear. This guy was like Justin Timberlake and his voice was awesome! The choreography was pretty good too, but don't expect anything like Janet Jackson or even Backstreet Boys precision in these dances. The dancing was utterly simple, but brilliantly executed. The matching outfits added that extra "umph" to this indie R&B spectacle. I enjoyed their set a lot, but I wondered whether they are ridiculing the current state of boy band R&B or are they just having fun and liking what they do. I'm still confused, but I think it's the latter. The kids loved it too.

Gravy Train!!! was next and these guys are just downright infectious. The last time I saw them at Oakland's Mile High Club, they were very entertaining, although I opted to stay behind rather than get myself tangled up in all the dancing and raucous kids. Well, this time I didn't feel so inhibited and just went right in with the crowd. I barely know any of their songs, but I did know one and that was enough for me to dance like a mad man. The crowd was so crazy (it's the craziest crowd I've ever at seen Cafe Du Nord) that members of Gravy Train!!! urged the folks to just take a few steps back so as to not squash the people in front. Well, despite doing that, the members of Gravy Train!!! kept on crowd surfing, so that really didn't help to quell the excitement.

All this dancing got me and my friends to want more dancing. We went to Arrow Bar as a last ditch effort for some dancing during Frisco Disco, but that was disappointing. We then continued dancing at my house and didn't fall asleep until 5am or so.

Overall, a truly fun night of dancing. I highly recommend seeing both bands.

Beer Rating: 1.5 Beers

No comments: