Event Calendar

02 June 2005

Bloc Party (Fillmore, 1 June 2005)

The Bloc Party overkill continues as I again venture to see them at a larger venue this time. See, I wouldn't have gone to this show, but I figure I already paid for the ticket (this one I got before Slim's) and I'm meeting friends there. I was so tired that night, and was not in the mood to see a show. But, like the gung ho individual that I am, I went.

I caught the very end of the second act, Kiss Me Deadly, which is a group from Montreal. One of my favourite places in this hemisphere. They were alright, the girl's voice is kinda annoying and weird, but the musicians and the music itself was pretty good.

Bloc Party came on right at 10:30pm like last night. It was nice to see these guys in different clothes, especially since most bands have their "stage clothes" usually one (see Coldplay and Arcade Fire). They started off the same, they played Banquet as the third song, and the last song they played was also the same as last night's.

They played 2 or 3 additional songs. I think they were both new, but then again I don't own the entire discography.

As you can tell from this review, everything was pretty much the same as last night's show. With the exception of them stopping their second song, "Positive Tension," 3/4 of the way through because of a fight that happened in front of the band. Okereke just stopped the set and said, "What the fuck is going on?" So, yeah, that was the only difference.

This is not to say that I didn't enjoy the show. "Banquet" continues to be a great song to listen to and still keeps my feet shuffling. They are just a solid band all around and this long road trip they are having will make them even better musicians and, hopefully, more prolific songwriters.

Beer Rating: 3 Beers

No comments: