Event Calendar

28 July 2007

Arcade Fire (Greek Theatre, 2 June 2007)

I was unable to attend the previous night's Arcade Fire show because of commitments. And luckily I didn't break any commitments because the second Arcade Fire show easily surpassed the one the night before. The crowd was really into it, and the capacity crowd showed a lot of love for the Arcade Fire.

This was the third Arcade Fire show for me this year. Coming into this show, I knew that there was no way in can top any of the others. I mean, how can anyone top going to Montreal to see them, in a church no less? You can't. There's no way. And at Coachella, I was officially over seeing Arcade Fire at a festival. It was just a mess. So, when I saw them here, I kept in mind of all the past Arcade Fire shows, and told myself to just enjoy, and relax, and take in everything.

Arcade Fire did not disappoint. This was probably the most calm I've ever been at an Arcade Fire show, yet listening to them really made my senses jump. Granted, the new album isn't particularly as great as Funeral, but the new songs were played well live. "Keep the Car Running" and, although not "new," "No Cars Go," was just downright wicked. You can hear a pindrop when the band played "Windowsill" and "Ocean of Noise," but then you couldn't hear yourself think when they played "Rebellion (Lies)" transitioned with "Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)."

The stage props were okay, but what makes an Arcade Fire show a memorable one are the theatrics of the band themselves. Will climbed up really high on top of one of the pillars at the show, which was scary. Richard and his Napoleon Dynamite looks banging the snare drums. Regine and her cherub like facial expressions. And Win "the basketball robber" Butler just singing his heart out on every song.

Beer Rating:

No comments: