Event Calendar

08 March 2007

Midlake (Bottom of the Hill, 4 March 2007)

I missed Ghostland Observatory the night before because of the Vivienne Westwood premiere over at the DeYoung. And then I went to Leisure. It was a late night, so having a show in the afternoon was a bit tiresome for me. But, I looked forward to it since it was a great day outside last Sunday. And Midlake is a great band. When I saw them open up for Flaming Lips, they just blew me away. The video that accompanied each song definitely helped with the mellow songs, but the songs themselves were pretty strong.

So, we went to Bottom of the Hill and it was packed. The opener, Mini Pop, were pretty good but I wished I saved my energy for Midlake. The cool thing about Mini Pop is that they sound good, but that's pretty much it. The little kid on the stage who introduced them and mimicked their actions was cute and entertaining though.

Midlake had problems with their visuals, so that was a big minus to their show. The songs were good, but they played what seemed like a lot of stuff that's not from Van Occupanther. When they did though, like "Young Bride," they were good. But I was way in the back and I could barely see anything. And it was like a sauna inside the venue, so that further annoyed me.

It was an okay show at best. But it would've helped if I wasn't so tired.

Beer Rating:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

damn i wanna go to the vivienne westwood exhibit! is it good?

-robin in l.a.