Event Calendar

04 September 2006

Cat Power (GAMH (Late Show), 29 August 2006)

Oh, oh. Last time I saw Cat Power, she was with a full band and she was absolutely flawless. Definitely one of the most perfect shows I've seen in a long time. But now, she is solo and this worries me. When I saw her years ago, she was a complete mess. Barely knew how to play guitar and constantly apologizing to the crowd.

Well, this time, Chan wasn't so crazy. But she was still her eclectic self. When she came on, she was seated with her electric guitar. She asked the crowd if we would all sit down so everyone can see. So we did, and it was just ridiculously uncomfortable. I was sitting down like a pretzel. Evena contortionist wouldn't feel comfortable the way I was sitting.

Now, I wasn't too familiar with her songs other than what's on The Greatest and The Covers Album, but it wouldn't have mattered. She played the chords to one song, but then sang another. Even Cat Power fans were confused on which song she was singing. She was even doing a cover of a White Stripes song and I got confused on how that showed up all of a sudden.

People finally stood up from their aching positions and Chan played some more. Someone asked her if she still drinks, and she said she only does it once a month. I didn't know she had an alcohol problem. I guess that's why she gets all crazy on stage? I don't know, just a theory.

She came on at around 11:30 and she was still playing some more come 1 a.m. At that point, me and a lot of others in attendance, left.

What the show lacked in stage presence was redeemed when we were watching this guy try to pick up on this girl. The girl totally took advantage of him (getting 2 drinks) but he lost out. He did get her digits, but are they legit? Good luck dude. Besides, the girl was skank-a-licious so I don't even know why you tried.

Beer Rating:

No comments: