Event Calendar

23 August 2006

Oh No! Oh My! (The Independent, 22 August 2006)

I first heard of Oh No! Oh My! through Brooklyn Vegan and was immediately impressed with the sampling of MP3s they offered for download. I heard the rest of the album and I was pleased. So, what the hell I checked out their show.

Shapes and Sizes opened up. I have never seen a bunch of fuck ups like these guys. Don't get me wrong, I like yelping and dissonance if artfully done. But these guys have no musical talents whatsoever. Finger picking guitars as if they just learned how to play two days ago. Playing the keys as if it was just there to bang on. Singing and harmonizing so off key that dogs will howl in disgust. At least the bass player and drummer had some skills, but the girl and the other guy? No way. And playing the banjo? Look, playing the banjo is all good if done right and in the right time. But, there was no right moment to play the fucking banjo in any of your songs. Alright? Geez. I was pissed that I had to sit through that crap.

A friend said that I should harshly review Shapes and Sizes but make a disclaimer just in case they get better. That way I will save face. Fuck that. They're horrible and I will not change that stance. But, prove me wrong, you know?

Oh No! Oh My!, thank God, finally came on. They started off with "Skip the Foreplay" from their self-titled album. I like that song, and glad they played it. They followed it with "I Have No Sister." After that, everything else was a wash. I think I was still pissed with Shapes and Sizes that I truly didn't appreciate Oh No! Oh My! I was literally falling asleep after the 3rd or 4th song. So, I left.

Don't get me wrong, Oh No! Oh My! are pretty good. They don't have the stage presence that will keep your eyes focused on them. But, their music will keep your ears attentive.

Beer Rating:

No comments: