Event Calendar

27 August 2006

The Killers (Popscene, 24 August 2006)

Popscene. 10 years. Damn. I don't know whether I should be happy for this long running Indie/Britpop venue or be absolutely sickened since I've been attending this thing for 10 years. Damn. I'm old (but not that old).

10 years. Many memories. I first went to Popscene back in 1996 (!) when it was at the Cat's Cradle (now called the Cat Club). It was so much fun! Listening to Pulp, Blur, Suede, Stone Roses and Oasis out loud and dancing with like minded kids. 10 years later, some things remain the same (music) while a hella lot changes (younger kids, a somewhat uglier clientele, different music). Popscene before attracted a little niche of the music population. Now, it attracts pretty much everyone.

To celebrate its 10th year, Popscene had a big bash with the Killers. An excellent choice, in my opinion. Of course, the reunion of Pulp, Suede or The Smiths would have been more fitting, but The Killers -- I like. The last time I saw the Killers, they were dodging seat cushions. No seat cushions here. Just 300+ people sweating it out.

Spin has photos. Such as this:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And interviews with some in attendance:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Name: Colette Blair
Age: 23
Hometown: Oakland, CA
Occupation: Student
"It's a good change, because they're less Duran Duran like."

Oh, she was referring to how The Killers look like now. Less Duran Duran:



More Bradley from Project Runway:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Of course, I'm in there in my usual pose -- text messaging in the wrong line (far right, look for the white truck and the guy with his head down):

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I went hella early, so got in within a reasonable time after they let us common people in (ha!).

I was determined to have fun and nobody is going to get me down. So, I went as close as possible and waited out The Killers. In the meantime, my friends and I were dancing to pass the time.

The Killers came on and they opened up with a new song I think. I'm not sure. But they played "When You Were Young" off their new album Sam's Town. Brandon Flowers started off with come keys and thanking the crowd for coming to the show (this was part of the song I think) and then the guitars launched for that song. I really like the new single, and the live version didn't disappoint. The crowd was energized, and so was I.

Then the classics from Hot Fuss came on. "Somebody Told Me" energized the crowd even more, inciting some to dance and hop around. A rather bland "Smile Like You Mean It" came shortly thereafter. I don't like that song, per se, since it's...well...bland.

New songs galore. I think some song with "Bones" came on. A cover of a David Bowie tune was in there called "When You Rock N Roll With Me" was in there somewhere. Overall, the new songs were good, but it wasn't "Wow!" The new songs sounded like a refined Hot Fuss. One song sounded very much like "Jenny Was a Friend of Mine." Another sounded like a direct rip off of a New Order track.


Then again, when I saw the Killers at Popscene eons ago, I hated them. But they were much better after listening to Hot Fuss more closely. I think the same will go for this album. I at least like 3 songs out of the 6 or 7 they played.

But the old stuff is what people wanted to hear. "Midnight Show" was played at 12:15am. "Jenny Was a Friend of Mine" was a little off. The guitars weren't as strong compared to when I heard it before. "All The Things That I've Done" was in there and it was just great to hear it. "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier" was chanted. Yes, the lyric is just uber cheese, but I like it. And they ended their boisterous set with my personal favourite, "Mr. Brightside." Yes, the theme song to my life. Actually, everyone's life really.

I stayed a little longer post-show. Danced a bit. Then left at 2am. A fitting end and a fitting way to celebrate 10 years of Popscene. I don't know if I'll be there for the 20th anniversary (shoot me if I am), but for all the love/hate I have with Popscene, the venue always provides memories. Memories of great times with friends. Drunken moments where I would sing "Supersonic" with two random English kids and the Spaths. Some things I'd rather not remember. Lots of things I'd rather not remember. ;-) But I'll remember this one. That's for sure.

Beer Rating:

Photo Credits: The Killers Photos: Dave Keuning for Spin; Bradley Photo: FourFour

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the review, i have too many great memories of popscene and i feel the same way about how it's changed since it's cat's cradle days -- i miss feeling like part of a really cool secret and dancing to blur and pulp and even the spice girls as a lark, and seeing all the mods and modules (that's mod + casual) out for the night. agh, memories! i can't believe it's ten years either. we shoudl shoot each other in a pact.

happy anniversary popscene, woo-hoo!

cheers,
robin in los angeles