Event Calendar

26 May 2006

I Love You But I've Chosen the Darkness (The Independent, 22 May 2006)

After a much needed break from the show craziness, the new wave of shows started again with this little gem of a band from Austin, Texas. Probably the longest name in band history, I Love You But I've Chosen the Darkness ("ILYBICD") played the Independent amidst a rather sparse crowd last Monday night.

We arrived to catch the Roger Sisters. The second opending band of the evening. There was barely anyone there at the beginning, but then more people showed up (thank God!). They weren't that bad, entertaining at times, but it wasn't like "wow." The male bass player definitely set the mood for the band, but I couldn't help but notice the sweat showers he produced when he would head bang.

ILYBICD came on. At this point, I was sleepy and tired. And the fact that their music is really shoegazey at times didn't help my sleepiness. They were a solid band. My friend best described them as being knowledgeable musicians, maybe even music teachers, but lack the charisma and the "umph" factor that would separate them from the rest of the bands out there.

I haven't listened to their latest release for a long time, so I forgot most of the songs. But the songs they played were borderline New Wave until the lead singer would sing. And I think they would have been better off if the guy didn't sing, and just let the New Wave aspects play out. Like "According to Plan." That's a great song, but the lead singer really deducts from its potential greatness.

I fell asleep for some part of the set. Don't know how long that was, but it was long enough to require someone to wake me up.

I love you, ILYBICD, but I should have chosen sleep instead.


Beer Rating:

No comments: