Event Calendar

07 May 2006

Art Brut (Great American Music Hall, 2 May 2006)



After coming back from a hectic weekend at Coachella, I nonetheless decided that I need to see Art Brut. I can't get enough of these guys. I want to see Eddie Argos strut his stuff. I want to watch as Jasper Future makes these obscene faces and cookie cutter rock moves. I want to experience it all.




Art Brut was just fucking great at the GAMH, despite my exhaustion. They made me forget about my tired, aching state and instead transported me to pure rock bliss. The show wasn't sold out, so there was plenty of room to maneuver. There were some hard core Art Brut fanatics where I was in the front and center.

They played all the songs from their debut album Bang Bang Rock & Roll along with a couple of new songs, even one they just finished writing the day before, and some b-sides like "These Animal Menswe@r:" Of course, my personal favourite was "Modern Art" as shown below:




Like any Art Brut show, it was high energy and loads of fun. These guys are going to be huge, here in the U.S., but I hope that overexposure doesn't do them in. This is their 3rd San Francisco gig in less than two months, and they'll be coming back to California as support for Belle & Sebastian and the Shins in July's Hollywood Bowl show. Regardless, I don't mind seeing these guys over and over again.

The schtick that Eddie pulls are still the same. Hopefully they'll improvise some.

Beer Rating:

No comments: