Event Calendar

30 March 2006

Feist, John Vanderslice, Youth Group (Bimbo's, 28 March 2006)

I found my way back to Bimbo's after a great Flaming Lips show. The remnants of the confetti still lingered on the dance floor, even some falling from the ceiling. The atmosphere in the air tonight is a lot more chill compared to last night's. Tonight seemed like AAA alternative night, featuring three good bands play to a crowd of Coldplay freaks. Yeah, I know, I'm one of them I guess. I guess....



Youth Group started off the night. This Australian band failed to make an appearance at their show with Matt Pond PA a few months ago, but are back tonight to make up for it. I like Youth Group. They sound like James without being James (if that makes any sense). I only caught less than half their set, but from what I heard, I wish I arrived earlier (shoudl have skipped the BK Veggie). Their entire set consisted of songs from Skeleton Jar. They played "Shadowland" and the title track during their brief set. They were very well received, and I do hope they return soon to play a headlining set.

John Vanderslice followed. The native Bay Area boy and former front man of MK Ultra was well received by the crowd. I think I'm one of the few people in this community that doesn't know anything about him. I watched his entire set, and didn't find anything really dynamic about him or what the whole big deal was. Maybe because I was tired. Or maybe because I was uninspired. Or the 3 Skyy 90 sodas I drank at 111 Minna beforehand. But, whatever it was, I was not impressed and was slightly bored.

With that in mind, I left the show early and missed the entire Feist set. I didn't really want to, but I know I can't stand any longer. My friend who did stay and watch Feist said that she was amazing. At one point in the evening, the lights went out and she and her band improvised by singing acappella. Very commendable. Showing her true colours as a top notch performer.

So, without implicating Feist on the rating, I would give this:

Beer Rating:

-- Photo: Sara Fong

No comments: