Event Calendar

21 December 2005

Tussle (Hotel Utah, 16 December 2005)

Despite the rain, cold and holiday madness going on in the streets of San Francisco last Friday night, everyone seemed happy to be out and about. It was the week before Christmas, and I think people are itching to do some crazy partying before calming themselves down with family at their suburban childhood homes. I know that's how I was feeling, and tonight was the night to do it.

Which lead me to select the Tussle show at The Hotel Utah as my primary outlet to release myself from the doldrums of my "Office Space" type job. I honestly haven't heard of Tussle before. I was recommended to them by a friend who was crazy excited to see them. She summed up Tussle as a band who "doesn't use any pointless vocals, just pure fun noise that anyone can dance to." With a description like that, who can't resist? Not I.

And Tussle did not disappoint. With a projector in the background showing random images akin to a Windows screen saver gone artsy, Tussle belted out their music with a lot of passion, energy and sheer perfection. Much like their more popular, albeit vocal laden, counterparts – The Rapture, Out Hud and, to some extent, !!! (chk chk chk) come to mind – Tussle's music is highly dependent on the beats they emit. Although I don't know any of the song titles, it seems like Tussle's music all shares a similar formula: a light beat as an intro, a layer of fast snare pops interspersed and then a bassline that would make George Clinton proud. All of these elements then form a sound that is truly original and mesmerizing. Each thud of the drum and each strum of the bass somehow seeps into the brain, which then send spastic impulses to the hips, necks, legs and arms. It was surreal and it was fantastic. I'm an apostle of Tussle.

Tussle weren't the only band to play that night. Another local San Francisco outfit, The Cold War, played their left wing brand of noise rock to the audience. Singer Tamera Ferro was all over the place, belting out the vocals while entertaining the crowd with her stage presence. They played a very short set, with the acoustics and sound at The Hotel Utah not exactly being cooperative to their type of music. Regardless, they were entertaining and may have prompted some members of the band to start a Communist revolution.

Beer Rating:1/2

No comments: