Event Calendar

09 July 2005

My Favorite (Rickshaw Stop, 8 July 2005)

After I left work at 5pm on Friday, my entire night was open. I had no plans whatsoever, and thought a night in would do me a world of good. I've been tired all week, and still feel overwhelmed by the things around me.

After being urged by a friend to go out, I was determined to find something remotely interesting to do. So, I thought that maybe Club I.D. or Loaded would be on tonight, but instead the S.F. Popfest was going down. I didn't know any of the bands on tonight's bill, but by a stroke of fate, I clicked on My Favorite. I read their bio and the words "Belle and Sebastian" immediately made me a skeptic. I checked out their website, saw their videos, listened to their tunes. I was impressed. They were good. Indie pop at it's most basic yet most beautiful. I had to go.

I convinced the others to go and there we were at Rickshaw Stop at around 11pm. The band came on shortly thereafter. My Favorite is a five piece ensemble, with Andrea Vaughn's angelic, Sarah Cracknell type voice filling the venue. Andrea's signature "schtick" (if you can call it that) is the varying inscriptions on her arms.

I've never seen this band, nor do I know any of the song's titles other than what was sampled on their website. However, I do know that they opened up with "Le Monster" off their most recent album The Happiest Day of Our Lives. Very good start to the show with the drumming and guitar work just oozing with indie poppy-ness. My one critique about this song is that it's too long. It could have been shortened, and it still would have been a great song.

The low-light of this show is when Michael Grace, Jr. would sing. Like Blake from Rilo Kiley, this guy was just horrible when he sang. Of course, that's just my opinion but real My Favorite fans absolutely adore him. Granted, he is entertaining when he does side chatter (sometimes) but not when he sings. Actually, I'd rather have Blake sing compared to this guy.

Andrea and Michael would trade vocals for every other song. Thus, like a roller coaster, there were plenty of ups and downs during their set.

The absolute highlight was when they played "Burning Hearts." This is an indie pop song created to perfection. Todbot's drumming in this song is just spectacular and well timed. Especially in the very beginning of the song. It's just the right amount of intensity involved and immediately catches your attention. Again, Andrea's voice was spectacular, and Michael's more appropriate role as backing singer is perfect for this song.

I don't understand why these guys didn't headline, but left it to the Orange Peels to do so. The Orange Peels were horrible and I need not discuss that band any more than I have to. But, My Favorite were spectacular (without Michael singing lead). They are not my favorite yet, but they may soon will be.

Beer Rating: 2.5 Beers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, it seems that the Orange Peels have managed to go beyond the six pack and liquor rating - no review at all.

-EL