Event Calendar

03 July 2005

Annie / The Lovemakers / Every Move a Picture (Mighty, 1 July 2005)

Ah, the long weekend finally arrives. Ever since I wake up on Friday morning, I've been counting down the seconds until the work day is done. I had some exciting plans this weekend, including a show that showcases three very good acts. With an after party at my place planned, there was much to look forward to once 9pm hit on Friday. Why not start the July 4th weekend off with a bang, you know?

My friends and I arrived at Mighty at around 9:30 on Friday. I've never been to Mighty. It seemed like a good space from the outside, and the queue was pretty long once we got there. Luckily we got there early. Upon entering, the space itself was pretty big. As a friend of a friend said, "It reminds me of PPAD (Peach Pit After Dark) from 90210." Very fitting.

Every Move a Picture came on first. This band is getting a lot of hype of late, most notably through their appearance at SXSW and at Live 105's BFD Festival. I first saw these guys open up for The Bravery at Cafe Du Nord a while back, and thought they were pretty good. Well, here, I think they were just okay. I think the sound system had something to do with their average performance. The last song they played, "Signs of Life," was pretty well done. That's when the crowd started paying attention. I'm a sucker for synths, and "Signs of Life" has a really good one towards the middle.

The Lovemakers were next. This band is another one of those big hype local bands. After being swooped up by Interscope, and apparently having a Eurythmic as their producer for their next album, the buzz around this band was pretty obvious from the now much larger crowd present. When they came on, they sounded promising. The sound was much louder compared to Every Move a Picture's set, and Scott Blonde and Lisa Light were quite entertaining to watch. They emit a lot of sex in their stage performance, and that was evident when Lisa showered herself with water about part way through their set. Not wanting to be outdone, Scott took his shirt off to reveal a somewhat toned torso (much to the delight of the gay boys and straight girls in the crowd). They were very entertaining, but I just wasn't into their sound that much.

Finally, the alleged highlight of the evening, Annie, came on a little after midnight. I love Anniemal and the catchy pop tunes in there. It's been in constant rotation in my iPod, with "Heartbeat," "Chewing Gum," and "Me Plus One" being my favourites. What plagued the two previous bands was the sound at Mighty being inconsistent. Here, Annie's performance was a victim of the poor sound off of her mic, coupled by her rather weak vocals. At one point, the recorded backing vocals were just too loud. It instantly reminded me of Ashlee Simpson's embarassing moment on SNL, but it didn't happen here. Annie's set was somewhat entertaining, but fell way below my expectations. "Chewing Gum" was the 3rd or 4th song played, and it really didn't make me want to dance. Which was a damn shame. "Me Plus One" also fell victim to her lackluster vocals and uneven sound at Mighty. Then there were a couple of instrumental songs which just didn't mesh well with the entire set. I got so bored that I left early and missed "Heartbeat." I wasn't that upset, given the poor performance, in leaving early, but I was quite upset that: (1) I didn't drink enough to enjoy this show and (2) that I dragged my friends and hyped this shit up when it was a total let down.

The 4th of July weekend didn't start off with a bang. Instead, the fireworks were duds, and I was left wondering why the hell it happened this way.

Beer Rating: 4.5 Beers

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Annie would be SUUUUUCH a dancey dance party fav if she could get Hey Willpower to perform her stuff. Maybe she could be a backup dancer. (alternate)

Anonymous said...

the sound was crappy but i thought every move a picture was the best of the three. Annie was SUCH a disappointment!!!!