Event Calendar

13 March 2005

Kasabian (Slim's, 11 March 2005)

Thanks to James, I was able to see one of the great new U.K. bands at Slim's. Kasabian opened up for shite band The Music at Slim's on Friday night before a sold out audience full of, what seems like, British citizens and ex-patriots. If these individuals were here on holiday, they sure picked the perfect weekend for it with Embrace playing Popscene and The Futureheads playing Slim's on Thursday and now with Kasabian the night after.

I have never seen Kasabian, but I do have the album which I think is one of the better releases of the year. I was amazed on how great of a live band these guys are. Lead singer Tom Meighan's stage presence was one of the best I have ever seen. If Genentech were to make an individual with Richard Ashcroft's voice, Ian Brown's stage singing style, Liam Gallagher's swagger, and Mick Jagger's dancing, Tom Meighan may have been the end result.

As I sat sandwiched in the back, Kasabian played pretty much their entire debut release, with Tom. speaking in that Liam Gallager-esque voice, saying "Thank you San Francisco!" as if it was the last song in their set. The stand out tracks played were "Club Foot," "Processed Beats" and "L.S.F. (Lost Souls Forever)." In these three songs especially, I couldn't help but feel energized. Each song played was just so full of energy, vigor, and noise that I constantly bobbed my head to each 3-4 beat emitted.

After Kasabian's set, it seemed like a majority of the crowd just left. And for good reason. How is the Music going to top this act? I look foward to seeing this band do a proper headlining tour. Should be a good one.

Beer Rating: 1.5 Beers

No comments: