Event Calendar

16 March 2005

Ian Brown (GAMH, 15 March 2005)

It’s not often that you get to see a fight onstage.

Ian Brown and his band arrived at the Great American Music Hall amped and, from an Oasis fan’s point of view, “Mad Fer It!” So was the crowd, filled with Stone Roses afficionados and some casual observers. Ian looked like, as my friend Paul said, a “scally” with his Adidas track jacket, shades, and a goldie lookin’ chain around his rather slender neck. His pants were saggin’ too - Easy Access style. You would think that the baggy era never left with this guy on stage. He opened up with the title track of his third solo release, Solarized, but he kept on complaining throughout the song that the sound levels were shite. He even told the crowd after the song, “You guys paid money to see this show - let’s not go cheap with the speakers!” He then asked the crowd, “How much did you pay for this?” He then tried to incite a riot afterwards by saying, “We’ll trash this place!” Now I see where Liam gets his stage presence!

Then, this is where the fun started. After “Sally Cinnamon,” which caught the entire crowd by surprise and back to those nostalgic days of the early 1990s, he then played “Made of Stone.” My beer was raised up high and I was ecstatic to hear this song. Then, right dab in the middle of the song, Ian Brown, in diva-like fashion, signaled the band to stop. He then blurted something about the sound being horrible and then went to the mixing desk to fix the problem. As Ian was singing acapella about some penny he found, just to check the noise levels, he then signaled the band to start. Again, I was amped, ready, beer raised high, and bouncing my head. Then, AGAIN, he stops the song and complains about the sound. Same procedure happened: mixing desk, sings song about pennies, and then signaled the band to start. This time, he completes the song and continues.

You thought that was entertaining, then you’ve seen nothing yet! As he was just starting “Love Like a Fountain,” some guy in a white shirt from the crowd jumps on the stage and rugby tackles Ian Brown! This totally caught Ian by surprise because he was blindsided by this guy. The band immediately rushed to aid Ian, with security following, but Ian defended himself! When he got up, he kicked the living shit out of the guy! His band also did the same, and security was trying to free the guy and break up the melee. As the man with the white shirt got up and tried to escape the stage, Ian then continued to pummel him. A really big security guard tried to get Ian to stop by holding onto Ian’s jacket and refusing to let go. This pissed Ian off and then Ian started to fight the security guard! Somehow, someway, the security guard ended up on the ground and Ian started pummeling him with either his microphone or a beer glass (there are conflicting stories on this). After the band joined in, the security guard got up and was bloody from the fight.

Ian and his band walked off stage and house lights came on. GAMH promptly shut down all bars and had security in place on the stage and around the area. The crowd were pissed that he walked off, but I don’t blame him. The crowd chanted for his return, but to no avail. Some left the venue, while others stuck it out. I went to the bathroom, and I chatted amongst the Brits in line and they were saying that this is the greatest gig ever and that it would be even greater if Ian came out. After 20 minutes or so, the drummer came back on stage and Ian soon followed. Ian then grabbed the mic and was still pissed, and he says, “If anyone wants to fight me, come to the stage right now!” A couple of tossers in the crowd raised their hand, but Ian was not joking. He pinpointed a guy with glasses in the crowd, and told the guy that he is ready to fight him on stage. The man with glasses, surprised at this reaction, declined but Ian was insistent. After a couple of minutes of that, Ian then focused his attention to another guy, stage left, and began badgering him. Then Ian prompted the security guards, asking any of them if they want to fight him. From that point on, the house lights remained on and the bars were shut down.

They then started where they left off, playing “Love Like a Fountain.” The sound was still not optimal, but Ian continued anyways. More songs off of the new album and his previous releases were played, all of which were quite good even though I haven’t heard of most of them. Another Stone Roses song was played, this time it was “Waterfall.” No stoppage in the music here (I think), but there was stoppage when the band played, “I Wanna Be Adored.” Same complaints from Ian, but the crowd loved it nonetheless. No encore, which came as no surprise, but we hoped for one.

News came out today that Ian got arrested in his hotel room by S.F.P.D. and was questioned for the assault and battery. A friend just e-mailed me today, saying that Ian was throwing a party in his room when a hotel worker came in asking them to stop the party because of complaints. Ian then grabbed his shirt and threatened to tear his buttons off. Needless to say, this man has a short fuse, despite his short stature. So, I take it he wasn’t at the after party then?

Overall, one of the most amusing and testosterone filled shows I have ever seen in my life! A truly great show to remember! Not only were the onstage antics hilarious, and the fight thrilling, but the music was great. My only criticism is that the guitarist needs to improve his Stone Roses guitar work. Then again, how can one emulate the great John Squire?

Beer Rating: ½ Beer

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kind of reminds me of the early days of punk, when a significant number of guys in the audience defined the quality of the show by how many fights broke out in the mosh pit.

I personally think that is a really dumb way to entertain yourself, and certainly don't think you need to pay $30 to see a rock star with an attitude and hearing problems so that you can witness a fistfight.

I'll assume you aren't among those demanding a refund from GAMH, or maybe you got in free in the first place

Anonymous said...

Good account of the show. I got outta there when they started kicking the bouncer on the ground and no-one came to his help. I felt like I was in danger and things could only get worse.

That was the biggest waste of money in a long time. I look forward to selling all my Ian Brown and Stone Roses stuff on eBay. Lifetime of fandom down the tubes.

Anonymous said...

This is the same reason people watch Nascar. They're just waiting for the big pile up.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the blow-by-blow :-)

I was in the back, and didn't see what started it (you explained it well). I did see Ian Brown clearly bashing the hell out of the Security guy's head with his microphone - ouch!!

I love his voice and his music, but witnessed a dissapointing show, featuring a whiny wanker, who's voice was not in good form. He cried about the onstage monitor mix a number of times - he cried about the lights (I thought I heard him say he didn't travel 5,000 miles to not be able to see his fans). But, what was most reckless was his re-entrance, when he wanted to know if anyone else wanted to fight. Hhhhmmm - aggravated assault and intent to incite a riot. I thought I was at the Cow Palace watching WWF.

Absolute crap - I don't understand how anyone could have thought it was good at all. I hope they throw his skinny ass in a cell downtown. I'd love to see him act like a hard-ass with a bunch of gang-bangers ready to pummel him.

I thought he smoked weed, not PCP!

I have a call into GAMH - no call back yet. Has anyone managed to get a refund?

Ian said...

I don't advocate violence, and I too would rather see a show with good music than antics such as what Ian Brown did. But the instigator was the audience member who rugby tackled Ian. Ian did react wildly, but it would be hard to keep your composure if you were all of a sudden attacked like that for no reason.

I think Ian should have stopped there instead of fighting with the security guard. From my point of view (and I was in the middle, stage right) the guard was only doing his job to stop the fracas onstage.

As for the diva antics, well, it got annoying but I guess the thrill of the fight clouded my thoughts on that.

Anonymous said...

Agreed - an out of control fan pretty much ruined the whole vibe of the show.

I don't think he was ever really composed though. His voice wans't strong. He didn't seem that interested in being there - and he kept stopping and going off-stage to give people who were trying to help him a hard time.

I heard he did the same kind of thing at the House of Blues...

Anonymous said...

They're a defunct band from Manchester that Ian Brown used to be the singer in.

Kind of like Oasis, but without the "brotherly tension".

Ian has to be as big an ass as BOTH Gallagher brothers.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
'That scally cunt Ian Brown can fuck off back to Oldham. His voice is shot and his face has caved in from years of abuse. Challenging some guy who paid thirty bucks to see his sorry ass to a fight is nothing more than a cheap publicity stunt to revitalize his flaccid career. Cynical fuck.'

In the first instance, none of this would have happened if Security had done their job and kept that dick off the stage.

If the security hadn't struck out at Ian, the band wouldn't have danced on his head. He was a twat and thought he fancied throwning his bulky weight around.

I'm from Manchester & had I been there, or in Ians position, I think I'd have doen the same, it's hardly like bombing Iraq for a bit of oil is it. It was self defence.

Anyway, whoever you are mr anonymous, you're full of shit. Which doesn't really surprise me as you probably don't have any idea about good music.

Certainly not half as much talent comes out of the whole of America than what comes out of Manchester.

Brownie is from Manchester, not Oldham. Maybe he's a bit of a scally, but that's 1,000,000 times better that than being a red neck. Go shag ya sister you inbred.

Anonymous said...

And while I'm on, how the fuck did Ian, or the band know that the goon from the audience wasn't tooled up with a knife or a gun.

Come on people, get serious. What would you have done in the same situation? Taken it up the arse? Yeah, thought so!

I'm personally hope that Ian doesn't return to the States to do anymore shows, as you don't deserve him.

He'll be getting big BIG love & a massive massive welcome when he steps on to stage at any one of his many many UK gigs, where his fans appreciate him.

& whoever said they're selling all their Roses/Brown stuff on ebay, I got one thing to say to you: Grow up you fcukin child.

Who wants some? Come on then!

Anonymous said...

Why don't you check out this eye witness account of what happened. They blame it on the goon from the audience & the security guard.

+Ian Brown played three songs at the Great American Music Hall last night ("Destiny or Circumstance", "Sally Cinnamon" and "Made of Stone") before a riot happened. During "Made of Stone", Ian was complaining about the sound quality, so much so that he stopped the song twice only to start it over. During this time, some drunk guy was pushing his way through the crowd, trying to get to the front of the stage...right in front of me!!!

As Ian broke into the fourth song of the night, this SAME drunk guy not only got close to the stage, but jumped on it from the left side. He then tackled the singer. The next thing you hear is Ian on the mic saying "What the f***". As security ran on stage to grab him off, Ian began to kick away at this guy, which pleased the crowd. A pretty big scuffle followed and the next thing you know, Mr. Brown and a pretty big venue security guard with bleached blonde hair is going at it face to face. After some words and what seemed to be challenges, they began to throw punches.

By this time Ian's whole band gets the guard on the ground and begins to stomp away using their feet, microphones, and tambourines. So by now there were about 15 people on stage: half rioting, half separating each other trying to end this. Security was finally able to pull the band of the guard, who was now sporting some red with that wonderful looking dye-job.

Eventually, everyone but two or three guards left the stage. The house lights went up and the show was apparently over. After being in a state of shock I, for whatever reason, became curious to know what the name the third was that Ian kept on stopping. I thought it was a really good track and I didn't really know it since I'm not a Stone Roses super fan. So I reach my arm on stage to take a look at the setlist and BAM... I hear "Get The F***" off" and "Don't Touch S***" from the two remaining guards on stage.

Jeez, sorrrrrrrrry!!!!

It became quite clear to me that the moods of the employees were very tense. To me, the show was over. No way was Ian Brown coming back out. One fan next to me was obviously a heart broken Ian Brown super fan with tears coming down his eyes. He began to yell things to security like "Welcome to America man", "Oh my GOD", "Why", "You Don't F****** attack the singer" and "Go back to Texas you piece of S***" (referring to the Security guard who fought Ian). This guy was defiantly counting down the days to this show.

So after about 10 or 15 minutes of waiting, I decided to leave.

Apparently Ian eventually came back out and finished his set. I wasn't there to see it so I don't know what happened once he graced the stage again. I've heard that he continued to complain about the sound and was even arrested when the show was over.

It's really too bad that this happened. I mean sure, I guess it was kinda cool to see something so rare and out of the ordinary like this at a concert. I mean, this is something you only hear about! You're never actually there to see it!

However, the people who own and book Great American Music Hall are great people and they don't deserve this. Great American is a fantastic music venue and I hope this doesn't keep people away. One stupid drunk idiot "fan" and a cocky Security guard ruins it for everyone, well at least me.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the drunk who jumped up on stage MIGHT have been "tooled" with a knife or gun...SURE! He MIGHT have had a "weapon of mass destruction" too.

I note that there aren't any pictures of this guy on stage among all those posted of the melee that followed.

Is that possibly because the house security got him off the stage and out of the club before Ian and his band could pummel him?

I find it totally unsurprising that all the people supporting the actions of Ian Brown and his band seem to be from Manchester (or wish they were tough enough TO be).

There posts usually end with something like, "who wants some? Come on then!" just like the bullshit Ian Brown was spouting when he finally returned to the stage.

Louts like this, on and off the "field of play have spoiled football (soccer to Yanks) and they've certainly spoiled a lot of concerts for me.

I wish Ian Brown continued success, really. He SHOULD only play in sports arenas with a nice big fence between him and his adoring fans.

Anonymous said...

Just so you know who it is you're abusing with such impunity, the security guard that got beatened to a pulp is an actual human being. He has a family and friends and a life. He is a college student with two jobs and, like most of us, trying to earn a living. He was doing his job when Ian Brown and his band attacked him in front of 600 people. Unless any of you have ever experienced what it's like to be beaten by a bunch of thugs in front of a whole bunch of people, you need to shut up. And grow up. This wasn't a video game. The victim of Ian Brown's violent personality and alchoholism is dealing with, and will continue to have to deal with for some time, the consequences of Brown's and his employee's actions. If he had any integrity as a human being he would get some help for himself and try to make some restitution toward the people that he harmed that night. I don't think I'll hold my breath. People like him never see beyond their own childish narcissism.

Anonymous said...

hear hear.

I'm *almost* from Manchester and I don't want to fight anyone.

Once the guy's off the stage no fighting needed to take place.

Ian needs to get his a*s back to some meetings and get a bit of serenity back. He almost looked healthy for a time and seemed to have some humility. Let's hope we get some of that back again.

Anonymous said...

Brownie is ace. Where can I see footage of this fight on satge?