Event Calendar

07 December 2004

Mirah (Bottom of the Hill, 6 December 2004)

Who would have thought that this show would sell out? As I was driving to the show, I stupidly thought that there will only be a handful of people coming to see Mirah (or as my friends and I call her, Mariah) and her small backing band play beautiful music. However, I was dead wrong when I was greeted at the door with a big SOLD OUT sign. I was so perplexed that it sold out. In fact, several others outside the venue thought the same thing.

After watching The Terminal just before I went to the show - a movie which gave hope to many that there is kindness in all people - and after getting my late charge waived at the local movie rental store, I knew that some kind hearted soul will let me in the venue. I never thought much of Mirah, but having a sold out show made me more determined to get in there. After a few minutes, a woman approached me and sold me her ticket for a miniscule $2 premium. After getting in, I knew that this was going to be a good show.

The entire venue was packed. I haven't seen Bottom of the Hill this full since Ted Leo and the Fiery Furnaces played together earlier this year. Mirah, the proclaimed sexiest voice in all of Olympia, Washington, and her small backing band came on stage shortly after 11pm. Their set list was a good mix of songs from her latest release, C'mon Miracle, as well as some rarities that were begged for by her fans. Although I'm sure that she played at least one of the songs requested, I wasn't so sure about the others.

I was dumbfounded at the cult following of Mirah, and I noticed that all the audience members in the front row sang with her word-for-word throughout her short 65 minute set. I am only familiar with one album, C'mon Miracle, but the songs she did play from that album such as "Dogs of B.A.," "Exactly Where We're From," "You've Gone Away Enough," and "The Light" were done so melodically and simply that you can't help get captured by her beautiful voice. The one song that was requested by her fans, one where she didn't know the chords or the words and took her a good five minutes to reach back in her memory to remember, was also done well. For the life of me, I can't remember the words, but I know it was done really well.

Like with most shows at Bottom of the Hill, Mirah could have been better if it wasn't for the reverb that was going on with the sound system in some of the songs. Also, as soft as the instruments were, at times the instruments would drown her voice. Even though her voice is naturally soft, the mic could have helped amplify her voice more, especially for the audience members (like me) that was standing in the periphery.

Overall, a good show despite my lack of knowledge of her. I'll definitely see her again in two weeks time when she returns.

Beer Rating: 3 Beers

No comments: