Event Calendar

20 December 2004

The Best Shows of 2004

2004 has been one of the most memorable years in music going. From tiny venues to large scale festivals, me and my friends have experienced what seemed like a lifetime of great music. Other members of this blog will hopefully post their top "whatever" of 2004, but here's mine.

Show of the Year: The Arcade Fire (Bottom of the Hill, 8 December 2004)

You read about the show in my recent post. To this day, I get excited just thinking about seeing Arcade Fire again in January. My friends are so excited as well that they bought a ton of tickets just so everyone we know can experience the greatness that is The Arcade Fire. These guys are playing three shows here, and three shows in L.A.., and had to move to larger venues in several cities. Do you think Merge Records is not loving this exposure?

Honorable Mention: Le Tigre (Fillmore), The Stills (Independent), Interpol (Warfield), Rilo Kiley (Bimbo's)

Danciest Show: Le Tigre (The Fillmore, 19 November 2004)

Again, you read about how great Le Tigre were in a recent post. I haven't danced so much for a show in a while, and these riot grrrrls did it. They were so dancy that Randy tapped the bottom of his beer in rhythm. If you know Randy, that is a sign of a great show. Their version of "I'm So Excited" is fantastic! So fantastic that after I vomited from my party last Saturday, I immediately got my head out of the trash can and danced to it like crazy. Yeah, that good.

Honorable Mention: Metric (GAMH, 10/18), The Faint (Bimbo's), Franz Ferdinand (Slim's)

Show with the Best Visuals: The Faint (Bimbo's, 10 November 2004)

Two screens full of stunning images, scenester boys from Nebraska, and enough energy to go around the room makes this show one of the best from a visual perspective. Even though many say that that was the only highlight of the show, I thought the music was great as well.

Honorable Mention: Le Tigre (Fillmore), Radiohead (Coachella), Kraftwerk (Coachella)


Surprisingly Good Show: The Cure (SBC Park, 29 August 2004)

Yeah, I know that the Cure are one of those bands that will forever be part of the fabric of music. But I never would have thought that Robert Smith would be that good. I saw them at Coachella and I got bored. Here at SBC Park, they were just downright amazing. Of course, it was the classics that kept me up and eager to listen, but even the new stuff were surprisingly well played. Robert Smith's voice was superb, as if the man never aged.

Honorable Mention: Franz Ferdinand (Slim's), The Stills (Independent), Keane (Bimbo's), Muse (Warfield), Interpol (Warfield), The Libertines (Fillmore), Ted Leo/Fiery Furnaces (BoH), Elefant/Ambulance Ltd. (GAMH), Stellastarr*/The Killers (GAMH)

Worst Show of the Year: Trachtenburg Family Slideshow Players (Slim's, 26 February 2004)

I have to admit, I've always wanted to kick a kid in the head but I've always framed it in a joking way (albeit demented). But this was the first time that I truly wanted to kick a kid in the head. That little girl in the TFSP is just so downright annoying, with her constant yapping to her dad and her lackluster drumming. Yeah, I don't care if she's below 10. I'll still kick her in the head. The songs were amusing to start, but they got downright annoying at the end.

Dishonoarable Mention: Supergrass (Fillmore), Blonde Redhead (Bimbo's), Pinback (Bimbo's), Flaming Lips (Coachella), Death Cab for Cutie (Coachella)

Best Show Because of Something Other than the Band: The Rapture (Fillmore, 15 March 2004) & Franz Ferdinand (Slim's, 20 March 2004)

This was the infamous Rave Magazine party where, with an invite, you were allowed in the venue with an open bar and a free show by the Rapture. Also, I forwarded my invite to a bunch of friends who were able to make it. Free Drinks + Free Show + Free Show Poster + Friends = GREAT TIME! Yeah, we even went to a party where Nick of the YYYs and the Rapture showed up! And I got to know more new people and eventually became good friends with all of them. Man what a great night that was!

Then the week continued on with my birthday being celebrated at the Franz Ferdinand show. This was their first show in San Francisco and the hype machine was in full blast. All of my good friends were there to witness this great band play their fun and dancy songs. After still being in a high from the Rapture, this show just put me over the top. Then after the gig, I got drunk at Arrow Bar and double fisted two beers. Good times!

Weirdest Show of the Year: The Unicorns (GAMH, 25 February 2004)

I didn't know what to make of this show. These guys were just plain crazy and too artsy fartsy, but yet I was mildly intrigued by what they were doing. Thank goodness that it was $3 beer night, because I don't know if I can stand these guys. With their pink outfits and annoying banter, I was amused but yet I wanted to kick the living crap out of these guys. I guess that's why it's weird.

Honorable Mention: Emily Haines (Cafe Du Nord), Blonde Redhead (Bimbo's), Fiery Furnaces (BoH), Flaming Lips (Coachella)

Sleepiest Show of the Year: Nada Surf (GAMH, 7 Feburary 2004)

I like Nada Surf. Their new album is a great one, with fantastic songs and catchy chords. However, that same great album did not necessarily translated to a good show. It seemed like the band's songs were just slower than usual, lulling the crowd to a deep sleep. Well, except for the group of boys in front of me. My knees literally buckled during this show, and I thought I was going to fall over.

Honorable Mention: Blonde Redhead (Bimbo's), Pinback (Bimbo's), Trachtenburg Family Slideshow Players (Slim's), The Concretes (GAMH), Mirah (BoH)

Quick Hits:

  1. Cheapest Big Show of the Year: Air/Stereolab/Sondre Lerche (Hollywood Bowl)
  2. Show with the Most Cover Songs: The Divine Comedy (Cafe Du Nord)
  3. Show with the Weirdest Instrument: Laughing Stock supporting American Music Club (BoH)
  4. Show with the Most Scenesters: The Faint (Bimbo's) or Yeah Yeah Yeahs (Fillmore)
  5. Show with the Least Scenesters: Keane (Bimbo's)
  6. Show with the Most Not Straight People: Le Tigre (Fillmore)
  7. Show with the Most Annoying Crowd: Interpol (Warfield) & Muse (Warfield)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Trachtenburg Family Slideshow accepts your award.
Peace, Jason Tina Rachel Trachtenburg.