Event Calendar

24 September 2004

Rilo Kiley / Tilly & The Wall (Bimbo's, 23 September 2004)

Beer Rating: 1 Beer

Out of all the shows for this week, this is the one I was the most exicted for. The combination of Tilly & The Wall and Rilo Kiley is, as Forrest Gump would say, "like peas and carrots." Both bands have that pop sound that has a little bit of twang in it. Also, both have a connection with Conor Oberst of Bright Eyes (Tilly & The Wall being comprised of former members of Oberst's pre-Bright Eyes endeavor, Park Avenue, and Jenny Lewis being one of Bright Eyes' backing vocalists during their tour with Belle & Sebastian). Well, my expectations were fulfilled.

I arrived late for Tilly & The Wall but I caught a majority of their set. The crowd provided polite applause, but at times there were those fair weather fans. I'm a new fan of theirs. I have downloaded some tracks (but I only know a few of them by title) and have never seen them live. Definite highlights were "You and I Misbehaving," "I Always Knew," and "Nights of the Living Dead."

After 20 minutes, Rilo Kiley came on. Before they started, I told my friend that "so long as they play 'It's A Hit' and 'The Execution of All Things,' I'll be a happy man." Well, sure enough, they started their set with "It's A Hit." An awesome live rendition which blew me away and had me smiling for all 4:30 minutes they played it.

The band were in good spirits, with Blake and Jenny being rather chatty with the crowd. Jenny thanked the crowd after "The Good That Won't Come Out" for their "recommendations" on the sound level. Blake admonished one crowd member for suggesting "Freebird." Blake hates that tried and tested heckling joke (I am too, and I have never heard "Freebird" before either!). Blake later apologized during the encore.

"I Never" was another highlight with Jenny belting out the "I . . . I . . .I . . .I" part of the song. Another funny part of the whole program was Blake's rendition of the Robert Palmer classic, "Simply Irresistable." It was done acoustically and much to Jenny's dismay. It was well done, but a rather odd cover. Not as weird as Neil of Divine Comedy covering QOTSA's "No One Knows" (see previous post), but weird nonetheless.

They finally played "Execution of All Things" as their second to the last song. After that I was in pure bliss.

Yes, this show was a hit.


No comments: