Event Calendar

22 September 2004

Muse (The Warfield, 21 September 2004)

Beer Rating - 2 1/2 Beers

What a night! I got a free club level ticket to watch the Giants and then I get to go to a free Muse show (with 2nd row balcony tickets) at the Warfield with my friends. Perfect night, right? Well, it would have been if it wasn't for four jocks sitting behind us in the balcony. They were loud as fuck and they kept on making stupid conversation. Totally ruined the show for me, hence I would have needed more drinks to: (1) drown out their annoying voices and (2) to gather the liquid courage to go Uma on them.

Anyways, on with the show . . .

After showing up 20 minutes late, Muse opened with "Hysteria" from their most recent release. And that was how the crowd reacted: they were crazy for all that Matt Bellamy had to offer. I was dumbfounded to see that their guitars and bass are completely cordless! I wondered why more bands have not tried this new technology, especially it provides for more mobility and the sound was excellent. Anyways, the Muse floor was so clean that it makes a neat freak like me proud.

One can't help but notice though the eerie resemblance between Bellamy's voice with Thom Yorke. I closed my eyes a bit when "Sing for Absolution" was played and the high notes that Bellamy does is so Thom Yorke. I hated to admit it, but it's true. It's even confirmed by all of my die hard Radiohead friends.

The 2nd to the last song was their hit, "Time is Running Out," which I sang along to. Especially the parts of "oooh, oooh, oooh, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah." Other notable songs played from their recent release includes "Stockholm Syndrome," "Butterflies & Hurricanes," "Blackout," and
"Apocalypse Please." Sorry folks, I only know Muse through their recent L.P.

Getting a free poster at the end made things worthwhile though.

No comments: