Event Calendar

12 October 2007

Rilo Kiley (The Warfield, 6 September 2007)

I just remember being so beat up that day of the Rilo Kiley show. After a fantastic Okkervil River show the night before, I just wanted to get rid of the ticket and go home. I really don't think that Under the Black Light is all that great of an album. Especially that Spanish song. As beautiful as you are Ms. JennyLewis, please don't try to sing in Spanish.

After failing to hawk my ticket to the lowest buyer, I went inside reluctantly. I stood there near the floor, just thinkingof the comforts of my bed. They came on, and I actually enjoyed myself. They played a lot of their "old" stuff from More Adventurous, which I think is a fantastic album. They started off with "It's A Hit," and that immediately got the crowd going. Jenny looked great in that shiny dress, and Blake didn't look that bad either. In fact, everyone in the band looked good and they were as tight as ever. They also played, "Portions for Foxes," and that made me smile, even though it hurt to do so.

As the show went on, they played stuff from Black Light including "Moneymaker," which is not a bad song played live. "Silver Lining," which I think is the best song in the album, also was played. But it was Rilo Kiley's back catalogue that people wanted, and they mixed that in quite well. "Arms Outstretched" was fantastic acoustic, and you know everyone wanted to stretch their arms to hug Jenny.

Even though the show was good, I got tired and decided to leave about 50 minutes into it. No big deal. I saw them, heard the songs I most wanted to hear, and I was happy.

Beer Rating:

No comments: