Event Calendar

26 April 2007

Mew (The Fillmore, 6 April 2007)

It’s been a while since I posted. I’ve just been really busy with all sorts of things. Now that I have this brief moment of respite, I will post about the Mew show that I saw eons ago.

When I first saw Mew at Popscene, they blew me away. It’s that rich sound that emits from their instruments and the lead singer’s voice that convinced me that they are one of those bands that are absolute gems. I still don’t understand how that singer’s voice can reach that high. It’s just bewildering.

At the Fillmore, their biggest show in San Francisco to date, the packed house was treated to a plethora of sound and visuals. Mew played a whole bunch of songs that I didn’t even recognize, possibly because it was from their previous albums. But when they played songs from And The Glass Handed Kites, the crowd went ballistic. They opened up with “Chinaberry Tree,” which is a fitting beginning to the set. Start off powerful, slow it down and then pick it back up again.

Easily, the best consecutive songs ever recorded are in this album. The trio of “Apocalypto,” “Special,” and “The Zookeeper’s Boy” are just flawless in transition and sound. Although Mew didn’t play these songs in a row, but rather in strategically placed points of their 90 minute set, they were still powerfully played.

The visuals were a bit distracting and weird. That’s all I have to say about that.

Beer Rating:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.